Howdy,

I'm looking at getting my first accoustic. I read the "What Guitar Under $300" thread and I just came from GC. Of all the sub $300 guitars that I tried, I liked the Takamine GS330S best. The only concern is that there are other guitars in that price range that have solid backs and sides and the Tak has Nato.

Is it still a good choice, comparable to the Yamaha FG730s ?

Thanks!
Last edited by Classified00 at Jul 21, 2008,
You must have misread something, because NO guitars at that price range have solid backs and sides. That would be too good to be true.

The Tak is a great choice, and the cedar top is pretty unique in the sub-$300 category. Nato may be cheaper than mahogany, but I have yet to hear of any objective negatives in terms of tone. If you love the way it sounds, nothing else matters.
I seriously doubt anyone can tell the difference in tone from Nato and Mahogany. The GS330S is a great choice.

Also, it's not true the NO guitars in this price range have solid back and sides. Those Silver Creek guitars have solid back and sides, but I haven't ever played one. None of the guitars in that thread (i.e. the Yamaha FG730S) have solid back and sides though.
I just call it a Tak for the sake of ease. Takamine can be pronounced many ways, haha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by jimtaka

Also, it's not true the NO guitars in this price range have solid back and sides. Those Silver Creek guitars have solid back and sides, but I haven't ever played one.

Wow! Good to know! I wish stores around here carried that line, I'm so curious to try one now.
^--- ditto. i'm really curious about these guitars. i wish i could find one!