So my current amp, a vox ad15 is alright for practicing since im the only one who hears it, but I needed an amp or a few choices down the road when I have enough money and a need to be louder. I haven't been playing for long but please don't say I don't need a new amp yet, because like I said before this is for the future.

I play mostly classic rock. I would like something versatile with medium high gain and passable cleans

I am not sure whether a combo or a stack would suit me better.

The amps I was thinking of so far were:
Marshal JCM stack
Peavey Valveking 212 (Head or combo)
Peavey Clasic 50 combo (or the 30w head)
Vox AC50CPH Classic Plus (Once again combo or head)

Could you tell me the pros and cons of the above or am I aiming in the wrong area?
I would like to keep the price under 1,200, and that may be hard with an head/cabinet. Thanks for your help I know you guys get these alot and are probably sick of them. I don't really know much about amps and I will try the most recommended one when I go to guitar center.
a vox ac30 is perfect for you but it doesn't have very much mid-high-ish gain so a peavey classic 30 with an overdrive would be perfect. it would have a similar tone to an ac30 and with the overdrive could get you to aerosmith and other hard rock type bands
Vox Ac30 + OD equals SEXY
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Would the loudness of either a ac30 or classic 30 be decent or should I look into the 50 watt versions?
Quote by forsaknazrael

What kind of classic rock bands do you like the tone of? What country do you live in?

I live in the US, and for tones it would have to be ACDC, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Pink Floyd ( a little different ) and stuff like that. I also really like GN'R's tone, hence the JCM.
The AC50 is pretty bad, so I'd stay away. The AC30 is voiced wrong for what you play.

I would recommend a Traynor YCV50 Blue.
I always say this, because I believe it: The YCV50 is the best production line amp under 1000 bucks, if you're looking for the "Marshall tone".
Here's some links to UGers with clips:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/kool98769/
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sum_ugly_man/
Quote by Bloodshed
Vox Ac30 + OD equals SEXY

But play the Classic Plus with an OD...you'll be in versatility AND tone heaven.
Well hot damn, Vincent speaks truth
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by the.spine.surfs
But play the Classic Plus with an OD...you'll be in versatility AND tone heaven.

Do you have any experience with it? I heard it has great cleans.
Last edited by Zarros at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by Zarros
Would the loudness of either a ac30 or classic 30 be decent or should I look into the 50 watt versions?

I sincerely doubt you'll need more than 30W of tube power, and the AC30 is a notoriously loud 33W amp. A 15W tube amp would probably sound almost twice as loud as your current amp to you. Something like a 5W Epiphone Valve Junior would be loudr than your amp. I know, I had an AD30VT that had trouble getting over a VJ. Tubes are loud.

The AC30 or Traynor YCV 50 are better choices than anything on your list, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Zarros
Do you have any experience with it? I heard it has great cleans.

Yessir, I spent about half an hour with one after hours where I work. It screams Vox from the bottom to the top of the gain spectrum. My only complaint was that the cleans lacked the dimension and chime of an AC30, but they're still very Voxey.
My vote from that list goes to the AC50, ive played it alot at my store, and it's got a beutiful sound, however, I'd reccomend a Traynor YCV50 blue over anything on the list.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT