Learning their first Hendrix (or other guitar master) song? I'm getting through "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and it is amazing me that I'm making those noises come out of my amp. It's truly inspiring, and it's moments like this that will keep me from ever putting this instrument down.

So, does learning a classic song like that send chills down your spine? what are some great moments in your playing history?
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

I wasn't very thrilled, although it's weird how the most popular songs can be so simple to play!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Ah yes. I know exactly what you mean. All the time you spend practicing finally pays off, and you feel like you're on top of the world. Great feeling.

For me though, its not so much about learning songs anymore that give me that feeling. I find that a good jam, and I mean good jam are probably my favorite moments (other than on stage of course!). I've had jams with my band that went beyond 10 minutes, cycling through different vibes, and dynamics. Or also the ones where its just one great riff, and the intensity and dynamics keep on getting more and more extreme. You just get in the zone. Truly magical experiences.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Ah thats awesome dude you just brought back memories of my first hendrix song, which was VOODOO CHILE. **** we used to jam on that for hours
Quote by bluesrocker101
Ah yes. I know exactly what you mean. All the time you spend practicing finally pays off, and you feel like you're on top of the world. Great feeling.

For me though, its not so much about learning songs anymore that give me that feeling. I find that a good jam, and I mean good jam are probably my favorite moments (other than on stage of course!). I've had jams with my band that went beyond 10 minutes, cycling through different vibes, and dynamics. Or also the ones where its just one great riff, and the intensity and dynamics keep on getting more and more extreme. You just get in the zone. Truly magical experiences.

truely awesome feeling
but sometimes after i feel completely destroyed knowing that 8 minutes ago in the jam it sounded amazing to me yet i cant remember what we were playing
^record it.

In fact, some of the times you record the 'holy' jams, and then you listen to them a day later, you're going "Ok... it wasn't that good. Hell, it isn't even good at all!" So sometimes, its not the music that feels amazing, its the vibe... its the atmosphere that gets you in the zone. Once you're in the zone, you're in the zone.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by Explicit User
Learning their first Hendrix (or other guitar master) song? I'm getting through "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"

One of my favorite all-time songs. I have recorded a version in my profile. It's
the first time I recorded from a few years ago -- I should do another version. I'd
pretty much have to learn the song again as I've forgotten a lot of it... which brings
me to I mostly just like to improvise. I just don't retain songs and I'd rather
practice things I can just make up on the spot. But voodoo child was nearly just
a jam anyway. I think Hendrix did it at the last minute for a recording exec to
listen to ... or something like that.
Quote by Explicit User
Learning their first Hendrix (or other guitar master) song? I'm getting through "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and it is amazing me that I'm making those noises come out of my amp. It's truly inspiring, and it's moments like this that will keep me from ever putting this instrument down.

So, does learning a classic song like that send chills down your spine? what are some great moments in your playing history?

Yeah, good for you! I can remember feeling the excitement of actually being able to play something that I found so inspiring to listen to. Thats really what its all about for me.

I remember saying I would never put it down as well, and....... I havent.

Keep jamming..... keep having fun !!
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 22, 2008,
I that feeling. I remember a few nice moments for me: learning the solo to Californication to transcribing a Chris Poland solo by ear (I still don't have it up to speed though lol). Unfortunately, no real-time full on jams just yet. I have played with other musicians in real life and it was great even though we were playing pretty simple stuff. Being involved just creates such a relaxing, yet intense, atmosphere.

Lately, I've been getting lots of satisfaction from writing my own material. It's nice looking back at old recordings and seeing how I've progressed!

Good for you, TS. Keep on trucking!
Yeah, jamming is the whole other aspect of being a musician that make it hard to quit, nothing quite beats those late night jam epics. (by epic i mean the REAL use of the word: 4. of unusually great size or extent)
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

i realized how much of my highschool life i have spent studying and practicing music and guitar. All that hard work REALLY does pay off little by little every day.
Layla was the big one for me. When I got that high riff down, and the one on the low strings down at the 3rd fret and so on....

Hell yeah then I thought I was 'God' lol ummm not quite. Clapton rules.
Me too, it feels like I'm cheating God when I play an Opeth solo.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
lol i haven't gotten thru a complete Hendrix song yet. I hate tab and so i start going into my own thing lol I'll just read what chords he's playing and run some scales thru them. It's close. Although his timing is out of this world. I just started messing with little wing. So i guess i'll let you guys know if i finish.
I've never felt as good as I did when I finally got Dream Theater's 13-minute "The Glass Prison" up to speed. It took me forever to get it as fast as Petrucci. It was the first 7-string song I tried to learn and after a hell off a long time and still only getting half way through it, I gave up and started to look at stuff like "Lie" and "A Change of Seasons" as well as Nevermore's "Enemies of Reality". Then when I got all those, I went back to "The Glass Prison" and finally finished it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
well i dont know if i felt that way about actually learning the song but i sure feel badass playing them. like when i turn upmy amp and make it all crunchy and play along with foxy lady....love it. ezy ryder is another one i like to play. although i guess i was pretty proud after learning castles made of sand from memory. i dont play it exactly the same but you can tell its the song. i put my own little licks in but they are very hendrix like so it sounds like its a hendrix thing anyway. its usually what i play when people say "play something".