Does anyone own one of these guitars, or at least have played one of them before? I'm really interested in getting an acrylic guitar, and even though I'd prefer a strat styled one, this mockingbird really caught my eye. What does it play like, and what does it sound like? The only BC Rich I've ever played was my friends POS Bronze Warlock, and it was utter sh*t. Will this guitar be like that, but just look good? Or is it a step up?

Any info is appreciated.

(This probably won't be my main guitar, if that matters)

Oh, almost forgot. If you know of any other acrylic guitars between $500-$1000 that I should look into, let me know.
it sounds a tad sterile, and it weighs more than your average Les Paul.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i played one and i really disliked it.. what kid thorazine said basically sums it up, except i found the one i played to sound less sterile, and more like a pile of feces with a neck and pickups.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it sounds a tad sterile, and it weighs more than your average Les Paul.

I read that they weigh a lot already. I don't think even Les Pauls weigh too much, so I think I should be fine with this.

I play mostly funk rock with my band, so I'd be switching out the pickups sometime down the road... but I do like to play some metal occasionally, will the pickups it comes with be fine with metal?
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I read that they weigh a lot already. I don't think even Les Pauls weigh too much, so I think I should be fine with this.

I play mostly funk rock with my band, so I'd be switching out the pickups sometime down the road... but I do like to play some metal occasionally, will the pickups it comes with be fine with metal?

if you play funk rock, id suggest like a strat... It would definitely sound better for that style of music. If you are deadset on getting that guitar, id definitely recomend a pickup swap, but i dont really know what humbuckers would be suited towards funk rock. Id recommend looking into seymour duncan or dimarzio though. Im sure one of those companies makes good pickups for that.
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
if you play funk rock, id suggest like a strat... It would definitely sound better for that style of music. If you are deadset on getting that guitar, id definitely recomend a pickup swap, but i dont really know what humbuckers would be suited towards funk rock. Id recommend looking into seymour duncan or dimarzio though. Im sure one of those companies makes good pickups for that.

Well I already have my strat for my funk rock side, which will most likely stay my main guitar. I'm looking for a flashy guitar to bring out every once in a while when we venture into our "harder rock" side (We started doing a few metallica covers recently)

I'm not deadset on this guitar, but I'm deadset on an acrylic guitar. Should I be looking at a different one?

Quote by SkAsupafly
why acrylic?

I just really like them, dunno why.
Last edited by AngelOfHatred at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Well I already have my strat for my funk rock side, which will most likely stay my main guitar. I'm looking for a flashy guitar to bring out every once in a while when we venture into our "harder rock" side (We started doing a few metallica covers recently)

I'm not deadset on this guitar, but I'm deadset on an acrylic guitar. Should I be looking at a different one?

i don't really know of too many acrylic guitars out there so if you're deadset on acrylic i guess get that. Since it'd be for more heavy stuff, if you swap the pickups id recommend a seymour duncan Jb for the bridge, and a Jazz for the neck.. I had that set in my jackson for a while and its prefect for metallica type stuff. How much is that guitar? im sure you'd be able to find a much better value guitar that wouldn't be acrylic. Check out these guitars.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=518451

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=513072

those two are really nice, and have good pickups, and either would fit heavier type stuff.
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
bc rich makes an acrylic version of most or all their guitars. the assassin (sp) is their strat bodied model or one of them idk. i`ve seen a few pics of them at the bc rich site. while they are not my cup of tea, i`ve heard that they have some tone to them. good luck w/ the mockingbird
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Vai's acrylic guitar sounds pretty snazzy, so I don't think it would be too bad with a pup swap.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Vai's acrylic guitar sounds pretty snazzy, so I don't think it would be too bad with a pup swap.

The vai acrylic already has dimarzios in it
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
The Acrylic Series Mockingbirds are certainly not top of the line (or even mid-range) Mockingbirds, but they ARE better than the Bronze Series.

With that said, I wouldn't pay more than $200 bucks for one---it's just not a great guitar, and beyond that price range, you can find a much better sounding guitar for hard rock or metal.

If you're just looking for an unusual looking guitar that few people have, however, (and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that) then you may be able to justify throwing down the extra cash for a guitar that does not perform as well as its price tag suggests it should.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
If you're just looking for an unusual looking guitar that few people have, however, (and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that) then you may be able to justify throwing down the extra cash for a guitar that does not perform as well as its price tag suggests it should.

That's pretty much it. I already have two nice guitars to use, and now I just want something to pull out every once in a while on stage to get some looks. the guitar'll probably stay on my wall half the time, anyways... but hey, it's my money I'm spending here.

Someone said they make a acrylic version of the assassin? I'm gonna check that out, because I really like the assassin.
There was a thread not too long ago about a guy who bought an acrylic BC Rich. Did you see it?

I think it was a Bich, in green, it looked pretty good.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by this&that
Dillon guitars make a crapload of acrylic ones, but they dont come cheap. Heres a link. http://www.dillionguitars.com/crystalseries/tunnel.html

Dang, those looks pretty sweet. It says the suggested list price is $999 on them, and I'm guess that's American. So, in Canada, how much do you think it'll cost me for either the strat or the tele one? And would I have to get it online, or would a music store order it in for me?
Always heard BC Rich were good guitars if you had the money to replace the pickups and other hardware that sucks....But otherwise out of the box they arn't worth the money, but damn they are sexy!!
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Dang, those looks pretty sweet. It says the suggested list price is $999 on them, and I'm guess that's American. So, in Canada, how much do you think it'll cost me for either the strat or the tele one? And would I have to get it online, or would a music store order it in for me?

I dont know if thats american, but i've seen many dillons here in canada, but none of these acrylic ones.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.