Would a Fat Strat HSS be better since it has the humbucker that the reg Strat doesnt have? or am I missing something. Its cause i am looking for a Fat Strat, but the only good deals I find are the reg ones without the Humbucker. Is it worth getting a reg strat?
the only difference is fats have humbuckers and regulars dont, if you looking for a heavier sound go with a humbucker

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

SSS all the way my friend. If it was good enough for hendrix, clapton, and knopfler its good enough for me.
Quote by guitarlover57
So what is this "pear", iv heard so much about? people on here keep talking about it and i have no idea what theyre saying,help me with this please!!
Quote by kabooya
Would a Fat Strat HSS be better since it has the humbucker that the reg Strat doesnt have? or am I missing something. Its cause i am looking for a Fat Strat, but the only good deals I find are the reg ones without the Humbucker. Is it worth getting a reg strat?

you have to ask yourself what kind of tone you'd be going for. If you play heavier stuff, get the fat strat.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
yeah? I like mainly cleaner sounds, but there are a couple of distorted songs I want to learn. Is the SSS good for distortion too, or should i wait for a fat one.
Hendrix used an SSS for all kinds of distortion and feedback. It just sounds different from a humbucker. Single coils are more noisy.
Quote by guitarlover57
So what is this "pear", iv heard so much about? people on here keep talking about it and i have no idea what theyre saying,help me with this please!!
For example, if i hear a song i want to learn with distortion, I dont want to have to say "Doh, my SSS Strat cant handle it." Im not talking anything metal, just some regular rock songs with distortion.
Quote by kabooya
yeah? I like mainly cleaner sounds, but there are a couple of distorted songs I want to learn. Is the SSS good for distortion too, or should i wait for a fat one.

id personally recommend the fat strat. I have one, and my brother has a sss strat. They are both great, so you can't go wrong really, i just prefer the versatility the humbucker adds
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
if you like metal or just a very versatile guitar get the h/s/s if you want traditional strat sound get a s/s/s.....
it will be fine for rock
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I play all kinds of classic rock with my sss, but I suppose most who play with distortion tend to use a humbucking guitar.
Quote by guitarlover57
You can use distortion, overdrive, fuzz, synth, anything with a single coil or a humbucker. The biggest difference is the sound. Humbuckers will give you a thicker, more mid-low sound, while single coils will give you a more chimey sound. It's just a matter of personal preference. Having a humbucker in the bridge will make a guitar more versatile though.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
id personally recommend the fat strat. I have one, and my brother has a sss strat. They are both great, so you can't go wrong really, i just prefer the versatility the humbucker adds

Listen to this guy^

Get the HSS strat because it is more versatile, incase your tastes change later on. Also don't listen to the people who say "SSS Was goOd enoUgh foR hENDRIX iT's gOod eNouGh fOr yoU LULZ!!!!!!!1" because more times than not what is good for one person isn't good for another.

Anyway on most HSS strats you can split the humbucker with the selector switch.
Quote by theacousticpunk
You can use distortion, overdrive, fuzz, synth, anything with a single coil or a humbucker. The biggest difference is the sound. Humbuckers will give you a thicker, more mid-low sound, while single coils will give you a more chimey sound. It's just a matter of personal preference. Having a humbucker in the bridge will make a guitar more versatile though.

Listen to this man!^
Ugh. It's all personal preference. I wish these threads would die.

Humbuckers don't take any better to certain effects than single coils, it's a myth. They have different sounds, and humbuckers don't have 60-cycle hum (although single coils have come a far way, in some cases removing it completely.)

Just play them both - it's your call in the end. I personally, prefer SSS.
Quote by G-man05
Listen to this guy^

Get the HSS strat because it is more versatile, incase your tastes change later on. Also don't listen to the people who say "SSS Was goOd enoUgh foR hENDRIX iT's gOod eNouGh fOr yoU LULZ!!!!!!!1" because more times than not what is good for one person isn't good for another.

Quoted for truth!
im pretty sure you can't split the humbucker though. Maybe on the newer ones, because mine is almost 4 years old. The 5 way switch positions are humbucker, humbucker and middle, middle, middle and neck, and then neck.
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
Quote by G-man05
Listen to this guy^

So why should he listen to what YOU tell him?

The fact of the matter is, you're part right. What's good for once person isn't always good for another. But that is not "more times than not" in this case - because in this case - it's 50-50.

He'll either like the SSS or the HSS more, and that will be that. No one can tell him which is "better". Only his ear can do that.

Quote by JOEYPWNSU
Quoted for truth!
im pretty sure you can't split the humbucker though. Maybe on the newer ones, because mine is almost 4 years old. The 5 way switch positions are humbucker, humbucker and middle, middle, middle and neck, and then neck.

Coil taps. It's not standard on the guitar, you're right - but you can mod it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_tap#Coil_Pickups
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
Quoted for truth!

Mine is 9 Years old and the postitions on mine are: split, humbucker, middle, middle neck, and neck. That goes the same for every HSS strat I have played.
Quote by Retribution
So why should he listen to what YOU tell him?

The fact of the matter is, you're part right. What's good for once person isn't always good for another. But that is not "more times than not" in this case - because in this case - it's 50-50.

He'll either like the SSS or the HSS more, and that will be that. No one can tell him which is "better". Only his ear can do that.

Coil taps. It's not standard on the guitar, you're right - but you can mod it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_tap#Coil_Pickups

It's not 50-50, because his tastes might change, and if that happens then the HSS is clearly better. Also I said that more often than not some thing that is good for one person isn't good for someone else, and I said that because his tastes could change at anytime, so the HSS would be better to accommodate that. I shouldn't even respond to this anyway, because you misquoted me twice.
Edit:
Look here >
This explains it, except the split is connected to the selector switch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker#Coil_splits
Last edited by G-man05 at Jul 22, 2008,