well its a chrome red fender precision bass standard, first bass ive ever owned, not the first ive played, but its pretty easy to play from what ive played, is there anything i should know about basses or any tips on playing?
welcome to UG Bass. great choice of bass. congrats!
read the FAQ for some cool info about bass. i think this site has some useful info, but you gotta' look beyond the tuner.
http://www.tunemybass.com/
Reading the FAQ would be a brilliant start, as well as getting a bass amp if you don't have on already, so you don't damage a guitar amp.

Treat it like a seperate instrument to guitar. Even fretting uses different techniques than a guitar (mostly keeping fingers parallel to frets to facilitate more use of the little finger.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by aaron addicott
well its a chrome red fender precision bass standard, first bass ive ever owned, not the first ive played, but its pretty easy to play from what ive played, is there anything i should know about basses or any tips on playing?

Bass is a whole new animal from guitar.
Use fingers, but know how to do pickstyle too.
Everything on here is sound advice.
Quote by metallicaboy27
Use your fingers.Picks are for guitars

^Ignore this. Use whatever's comfortable for you, both produce different sounds, and it's always useful to become competent with both eventually.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Last edited by Killed-By-Death at Jul 22, 2008,
Pics would be delicious
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
nice! learn everything and practice everything, whether or not you plan on using it. fingerstyle, slap, walking basslines, anything.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
good advice there- i'm in a similar situation, but a few months down the line.

I mainly play fingerstyle as its more alien coming from guitar, but i still play the odd time with a pick just to keep my "eye in" so to speak.

Sounds like a lovely bass you have too
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Killed-By-Death
^Ignore this. Use whatever's comfortable for you, both produce different sounds, and it's always useful to become competent with both eventually.

When starting from guitar, fingerstyle would probably be best to help develope a bass mentality, as the completely fresh start will stop him trying to shred sloppily and call it bass playing.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i have something to say about the whole pick vs. fingers thing. Like 3 or four months ago i was hardcore against the use of picks because they "were for guitarists". One day a guitarist was over my house and left his pick there, so i decieded to try it out. at first it was wicked hard, but after using it for a day or so to the point where i became competent, i found it allowed me to play faster riffs much better than using my fingers. It also had a drastically different tone. I definitly feel like you get a fatter, bassier tone from your fingers, but the pick tone is definitly interesting and sounds great when applied correctly. you should learn how to use your fingers very well first, as they will most likely be your primary "weapons", but after that theres no reason to not try out picking=]