Page 1 of 8
I think it's more appropriate for Mr. Beck to belong to this forum rather than a rock forum...

Anyway - anyone else into this guy at the moment?

I'm currently trying to tab out the melody for 'Diamond Dust'
Jeff Beck is the ****ing bomb. My appreciation for this guy has just kept growing and growing. Straight up, his vibe, technique, phrasing is an institution unto itself.

coming across this thread made me go to youtube, and look at the video of Jeff Beck playing Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" live with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums laying that **** down! check it out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Ej3BdMpgZw
his crossroads 2007 stuff is great, especially with that bassist Tal Wilkenfeld. She looks like she's 7, but god damn she is a young Jaco.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA

As far as beck, no one can pull of volume swells like him. He is in complete control of his guitar, more so than many players today.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
I seem to remember his bassist pulling some of the strangest faces you'll ever see
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
^ Indeed. She was kind of weird looking to begin with also, but the faces didn't help.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
He's pretty awesome. I don't have much of his stuff, just Guitar Shop and Truth. But I like it quite a bit. He's definitely very underrated.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Yeah the only album I have is Truth. What else should I look for?
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Jeff is one of the best players to ever live. He has gone through many musical transitions and remained great. But for some reason barely anyway i know even knows who he is and hes so underated. Anyways, if your into weird sounding guitar and electronic type stuff check out Jeff. Some of his best jazz fusion comes from Wired. He also did some really good work with Rod Stewart/ Jeff Beck Group. And i love these videos of when he was touring with SRV

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2UIptI2rcjg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6aZ6ztavDQ4
Quote by slidething31
Yeah the only album I have is Truth. What else should I look for?

anything really....personally JB is one of my favorite musicians, its about time he got a thread!

but look for
"Blow by Blow"
"Wired"
"Beck Bogert Appice"
any albums you can find form the Jeff Beck Group, there all amazing.

Jeff is definately one of the greatest, innovative, and underrated guitar players.

"Cause We've Ended As Lovers" is a really fun song to play, and so is "You Know What I Mean"
'Music is the best"
Zappa
^ i love Cause We've Ended as Lovers, its the song that made me want to play guitar.
I have "Truth" and "Blow by Blow"

"Truth" is definitely great, but I'm not really into "Blow by Blow" as a whole. "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" and "Diamond Dust" are AWESOME, though.

I want to get another album of his...what should I get?
Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop is fantastic.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
yeah I have to check out 'Guitar Shop' heard good things about it. the first time that I heard Jeff Beck, was actually one of his later albums where he was flirting with electronica for the first time, and I just didn't get what he was trying to do. After having run around the block and listened to a lot of music, I started getting into Beck heavily sometime last year, and I've been hooked into his playing completely. His playing is so firmly entrenched in the blues, yet at the same time he plays with aesthetic of a jazz musician. Incredible.
I haven't listened to anywhere near enough of Jeff Beck's music. He's a fantastic player. How old is that Tal girl, anyway? I can't decide whether she's 13 or 23, lol.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by StratFox
I have "Truth" and "Blow by Blow"

"Truth" is definitely great, but I'm not really into "Blow by Blow" as a whole. "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" and "Diamond Dust" are AWESOME, though.

I want to get another album of his...what should I get?

hmm if you liked truth, you'd definately like "Beck-Ola"

and most definately get "Jeff Beck Group" and "Beck Bogert and Appice"

im surprised you dont like Blow by Blow as much.....thats his best in fusion, i personally believe, plus its one of my fav albums of all time!
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Hey guys I am really looking for a real solid Beck tune. I have been voluntarily whammy less for a while, and kind of want to re-ignite a fire for whammy use. I know JB is a king with Whammy, any ideas for not over the top but real classy tunes where the whammy use really shines. I already have Freeway Jam and Cause We've Ended as Lovers. Thanks guys.
Yeah, Beck basically has complete control over his guitar at all times. He's great.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
great song titles aswell!
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
my number 1 goal in life is to be able to play that perfectly the way beck did
^ yeah to be fair, I think I had added advantage picking that song up, given my familiarity with Indian Classical music.

The song in itself has an uncomplicated structure, and the melody is fairly simple. What makes it really extraordinary are the "beckisms" in this case thankfully, those Beckisms coincided with the way I emulate Indian classical ragas on guitar, especially with the vibrato.

That said, I didn't play the song with a slide as Beck does, I borrowed more from the way U. Srinivas, the mandolin player from Shakti, executes some of his leads.
The only work I've heard of him so far is Guitar Shop and from the opening track I was blown away by the sheer control the guy has on the instrument, and more astounded so when I heard he was a finger picker purist. Truth be told, just listening from this one album I can tell alot of upcoming guitar players owe Beck alot in terms of musical structure and technique. Remarkable player.
Jeff Beck is one of my favourite guitarists. He has a very distinct style, which makes playing his songs immensely hard. Nadia and 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers are good examples. I quite like his tone, too. Very organic and raw.
Some of his most bluesy work is in Truth if your really into blues like me and Greensleeves is just a beautiful acoustic song. Im trying to learn it right now, does anyone know who its originally by?
i love how nobody posts in this thread. it just shows his under rated-ness
I used to think JB was overrated...BEFORE I LISTENED TO HIM!!! I like every firkin thing he does!!! He has played so many styles and is a master at them all. He thinks so far out of the box that I often can't understand what he has just done. He will be playing along like some regular guy, then all of a sudden, goes into outerspace. Brush With the Blues kills me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yGB6d_3n58