I've really been wanting to build a bass for sometime and I've finally decided to build a fretless P-bass. I going down to a local lumber warehouse where I can get some dirt cheap wood sometime this week to get the wood for the body. I'm thinking I'm going to use Ash. As for the neck, this where I reach my dilemma. I'm considering the neck off of my squier that I defretted and use it, but it is a jazz neck. I dont really like the Fender P necks due to their thickness so I think I would use a jazz neck anyway. Should I just use this neck or make my own? If I did make a neck I'm considering using Poplar, would this be a good alternative to maple? Tools arent an issue, I have a router, planer, bandsaw, tablesaw, and a drill press. I also have some wood working experince.

oh and my squier is crap, I think I got a lemon, but the neck is suprisingly good
Last edited by RollTide888 at Jul 22, 2008,
Only make a neck if you know how to properly work with a truss rod.

EDIT:
Quote by Wikipedia
Installing a truss rod in a newly constructed guitar requires woodworking capabilities. Special tools are required including a router with a variety of bits and ability to work with metals. Completed truss rods can be purchased through suppliers or manufactured according to specifications given in literature. Be sure of your measurements when constructing a guitar as they all play into the guitars full scale and playability. Consult a professional luthier or literature before constructing your own guitar.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jul 22, 2008,
use it. I would not really be comfortable making my own neck, and I study luthiery for fun.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom