So basically, I've given up on finding musicians in my area. Those that exist are already dedicated to a band, and none of the already formed bands need a guitarist or want to give me a chance as one since there are so damn many in my area.

I decided last night that I was going to officially refer to myself as a solo artist but I have no idea how that works? For instance, how do you play a hardcore show as a guitarist without a drummer and bassist? Is it even sensible in my situation?

These could be awful questions. I appologize.
You can also hire a backing band and consider yourself 'solo'. Or alternatively, get some backing tracks like Martindecorum said, get your name well-known over your local area, those "musicians of your era" will eventually come out of the shadows and join you.
A genre like hardcore is all about the cred and not so much about artistry. Though in some genres, I might use a backing track or two, but for hardcore.... I really think people would laugh.

What hardcore solo artists can you think of? Henry Rollins, I guess? He still has a band behind him. Difference is, they're typically hired folks.

As a solo artist, expect to be able to go up with an acoustic guitar and do your songs. Not to say you have to be a folkie, but think about most other solo artists.... most of them could do that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As a solo artist, expect to be able to go up with an acoustic guitar and do your songs. Not to say you have to be a folkie, but think about most other solo artists.... most of them could do that.

That's exactly what I thought but had hoped wasn't really the only way. Thanks though, really.
If you haven't got any musicians to play with, record your own **** with electronics, drum machines, samplers, WHATEVER - as long as you can do whatever you want to do in front of the audience, even if that's hardcore music.

To back this up, I've seen Raja Ram - old hippie with synthesizers and other stuff on stage - play shpongle songs (ambient psytrance duo with musical themes from all over the world blended with psychedelic textures, would take MANY instruments and musicians to re-create that live. The other guy has other projects atm) while also activating the audience and dancing/singing along to the stuff he plays.

If that bizarreness can captivate an audience, your solo hardcore stuff can as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ASJSBneV21M <--- this gives you an idea, but I've seen him and similar artists in the psytrance genres play smaller clubs also.
Quote by -Vogel-

To back this up, I've seen Raja Ram - old hippie with synthesizers and other stuff on stage - play shpongle songs

i knew there had to be at least someone knowing of such enchanting music around here

anyway, most solo artists hire a band.. if you think you aint got the money, you have to write some damn good stuff to convince people to play under your name and your rules for free, backing tracks are ot recommended..

btw, why wouldn't you continue your search outside 'your area' ?
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Honestly I can see emo-style acoustic ballads fitting well at a hardcore show, especially as a middle "cool down" act. I've actually seen this work at punk shows. It all depends on if the music is good or not. Throw in a cover of something that hardcore kids would like (maybe TBS's "Cute Without The 'E'"?), and you'll win them over.
Originally posted by Neon Knight
Ramco i worship you and your awesome comment \m/