i have a dentist appointment where i'm getting a couple cavities filled, and possibly a root canal, and it's going to take about 2 hours or more.. i hate sitting there while they poke and prod while they're working on my teeth. so i was wondering if i could ask them to put me out while they do the work, or if that's too much..

Has anyone else had a root canal? what is it like?
they may not, because its an unecessary risk
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
but would it be unusual for me to ask to be knocked out for it? i'd get really bored, and the pain is definitely a turn-off....
from what ive heard, root canals these days are relatively painless. at least if you dentist is good at his/her job.
im not positive but im pretty sure they use anesthetic when performing those procedures so the pain wont be a problem anyways..

i don't think they will think boredom is a good enough reason to completely put you under
Quote by guylee
you know what's REALLY gonna suck?

they're gonna be asking you stupid questions the WHOLE time while they have all that **** in your mouth

My dentists love to do that...

and when they numb me, it usually doesn't work the best (enough to make it not hurt , but enough where i notice) and i don't want that happening if it's going to take much longer than usual

so can they deny my request to do that?
Quote by godofdeth
My dentists love to do that...

and when they numb me, it usually doesn't work the best (enough to make it not hurt , but enough where i notice) and i don't want that happening if it's going to take much longer than usual

so can they deny my request to do that?

yes they can. but i'm sure they would probably give you a little more anesthetic if you tell them they never giv eyou enough...
They can't just knock you out with anaesthesia, they'd have to pump your stomach first, otherwise, you could pull a Hendrix on them.

So no, they aren't going to put you under if you ask, and even if they would, it would be VERY expensive, as they'd have to bring in an anesthesiologist
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Just bring an mp3 player and headphones and you'll be fine. At least, that's always worked for me in any situation like that.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by godofdeth
but would it be unusual for me to ask to be knocked out for it? i'd get really bored, and the pain is definitely a turn-off....
it's called sedation dentistry.
a small number of dentists use this method for serious work.
chances aren't that good that your dentist does, but you can ask.

if yours doesn't you might be able to have nitrous oxide while he's doing the work.
it will make your head numb.
you'll still be stuck in the chair for two hours, but you won't really care.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
the worst is the smell of them drilling into your teeth
Quote by The Leader
Man, woman, and child alike wept openly at the scourge and pestilence that was birthed onto this Earth from my anus

Quote by inhatredofme
i rear back with the hammer and start raining down blows like thor upon a hooker
The worst is when they go: "What does this smell like to you?" and sticks your dead nerve under your nose, you will flinch. Also they give you a needle to stop the pain in your mouth but it shouldn't hurt cause the ONLY reason your getting a root canel is because the nerve endings have died, it won't hurt a bit. If it was bad like mine and you have to go in three times after the first time you won't need any needles because they remove the majority of your nerve in the first time. So you'll be k.
I think I had a root canal filling a while back... wasn't TOO bad, the worst feeling is the drill... the grinding is horrible.
I doubt they'll put you out. I feel your pain, I hate the dentists. My gag reflex is really sensitive so they couldn't use a dam, leading to me having to spit out shards of teeth for a few hours. Plus for some reason last time I went the Novocaine barely worked (despite her using more than she should have) so it was pretty painful.
Also, David w is right, the drilling is pretty brutal. It shakes your whole head. It's quite an odd sensation.
my mum got a root canal with a laser dentist and it didnt hurt a bit.

You can ask for a general anesthetic but your appointment will be rescheduled and you will have to pay more, lots more - for the anesthetist and everything else
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
fit a cobra down your throat so it'll strike when your mouth is opened then THEY'LL FEEL THE PAIN

But seriously they numb your mouth so you dont feel the penis being inserted into it.
>.>
<.<
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Damn son, you need to learn to brush yo teeth.

Cavity free for 21 years.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
When I was a kid I used to get fillings (Cavities) all the time, I got them that much I didn't feel any pain at all. The drill tickled me, my dentist would have to tell me to stop laughing and shaking Never had a root canal though.

Last time I went the dentist he said I have boss teeth
Nah, I've worked with dentists for like 2 weeks, never have I seen any patient knocked out for a root canal, or anything else. They're all just standard procedures.