This isn't one of those "what gear did he use?" threads, but rather recomendation. With all the talk about The Who and the tribute show i saw on tv and the new Guitar Hero game, (no, i am not and refuse to be one of those "o i love that song! its so much fun to play on rockband/guitar hero" kind people where they reference the game rather than the band itself.) it got me interested in listening to The Who again.

I went onto Wikipedia and found out that throughout his stay with The Who, John Entwistle released solo projects.

Has anyone heard any of the songs or about Entwistles solo work? I am not sure how i could get a hold of copies, but it won't hurt to look.

The Who was one of those complete bands where everyone was a master of their craft and always backed up with a smooth baseline or off the wall speed that still fit into the song perfectly.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Jul 22, 2008,
The Who are amazing, Who's next is my favourite album of all time...

John Entwistle's solo work is hard to come by unless you want to order it or go hunting for the albums, Smash Your Head Against The Wall is a solid album that I wish I had on CD, all I have it on is an old tape that my dad recorded of the original record that he has since lost/had stolen from him.
Quote by Cobalt Blue

John Entwistle's solo work is hard to come by unless you want to order it or go hunting for the albums, Smash Your Head Against The Wall is a solid album that I wish I had on CD, all I have it on is an old tape that my dad recorded of the original record that he has since lost/had stolen from him.

After reading your post it dawned on me to check amazon.com.
I just typed in "Smash your head against the wall" and there it was. Apparently it was rereleased on Audio CD in 2005.

/cheers
Quote by Cobalt Blue

You can find Entwistle's work in any record store round here.
Quote by I_am_spartacus
thats so stupid it made my left testical infertile...thanks...asshole
5'15 with 'the Ox' bass solo. Youtube it and love it.

/thread
You stole my Overture
This, this and Greatest Hits Live if you can find it.

Also about teh 5:15 solos on youtube, they sound horrible, his later tone was horrendous, he did much better solo stuff in Sparks when the Who played Tommy live imo, and the tone was a hell of a lot better.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I actually liked "Too late the hero" as well. Most of his solo stuff has been re- eleased on CD now. Amazon is a good source.

I'm so old I have Smash Your Head Against the Wall and Whistle Rhymes on vinyl
Quote by anarkee
I actually liked "Too late the hero" as well. Most of his solo stuff has been re- eleased on CD now. Amazon is a good source.

I'm so old I have Smash Your Head Against the Wall and Whistle Rhymes on vinyl

That is good, don't feel downgraded! Wish I had some of his solo albums, since he is one of my fav bass players....
I love watching him play. His fingers are crazy fast.
All your base are belong to us.
I own three of his solo LP's. Rigor Mortis, and two copies of Too Late The Hero, one of them autographed by him. No certificate of authenticity, but it's definitely his distinct signature.

Anyway, keep in mind that much of his earlier solo stuff was 'gaggy' in nature. Rigor Mortis, for example, was basically a gag album. Peg Leg Peggy actually made me laugh out loud. It's an album filled with joke songs and old honkey tonk covers. Including the a capella Mr. Bassman. Awesome bass solo in Black Cadillac.

I quite love Too Late The Hero. Yeah, there're gags here and there, like Love is a Heart Attack, but some of his tracks are awesome, like the title track, and Fallen Angel. Or Lovebird, if you like power ballads.

I also have his first CD on my iPod, but I kinda forgot about it until now.

Anyway, the point is, his stuff is solid, but very Entwistle. He was having fun with his solo stuff. I'm not saying he wasn't taking it seriously, but he wasn't taking it TOO seriously.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..