OK, SO! I have a squier J bass. I'm a beginner and broke, so I don't want to destroy the thing and be bass-less. It's currently my only instrument.

I like it an all, but I want something a bit... I dunno. Flashier? There are a few mods I have thought about that I could make to it without REALLY spending any money... I think.

SO! I need help!

Question #1=
I want to take some rusted old sheet-metal and make a new pick-guard for this bad boy. Would the metal guard screw with the pick-ups or sound?

Question #2=
How hard would it be to repaint this thing and put it back together? I want an olive-drab type deal going on for the body... I think. I may use a brown or tan once I try the pick-guard on. Either way, I want it kinda flat, maybe even slightly see through so you can still see the wood grain! That would be bad-A! How would I do that?

Question #3=
How hard is it to get/make new control nobs for this?

Question #4=
On old Bass, I have seen a chrome-ish metal sheild that arches over the pickups... What does that do, and how can I make one?

Question #5=
Can I use regular dark wood stain on the neck?

Question #6=
I want a special inlay on the 13th fret... How hard would this be to do?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
Question #1=
I want to take some rusted old sheet-metal and make a new pick-guard for this bad boy. Would the metal guard screw with the pick-ups or sound?
yes.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Question #2=
How hard would it be to repaint this thing and put it back together? I want an olive-drab type deal going on for the body... I think. I may use a brown or tan once I try the pick-guard on. Either way, I want it kinda flat, maybe even slightly see through so you can still see the wood grain! That would be bad-A! How would I do that?
tinted clear satin lacquer.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Question #3=
easy. lots of knob choices available from online guitar parts vendors. you'll have better luck finding them if you spell it knob.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Question #4=
On old Bass, I have seen a chrome-ish metal sheild that arches over the pickups... What does that do, and how can I make one?
it's a handrest. you prolly saw it on a Jazz Bass or a Ric. easier to just buy one from a parts vendor.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Question #5=
depends on the wood. and how well you remove the old finish. it might not take the stain all that well. and the chemistry of the stain needs to be compatible with the lacquer or poly you use as a finish.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Question #6=
very. unless you're skilled at doing inlays. but if you were, you wouldn't have asked.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
yes.

Dang... How much? Like, would it mess with the pick-ups directly? or change the tone like how different woods make different tones?

tinted clear satin lacquer.

Awesome, thanks.

easy. lots of knob choices available from online guitar parts vendors. you'll have better luck finding them if you spell it knob.

Oh, right. Hasty typing is not my friend. These are no problem to change out?

it's a handrest. you prolly saw it on a Jazz Bass or a Ric. easier to just buy one from a parts vendor.

Well, if it's gonna cost much at all, I would rather not. Also, why does this not interfere with the sound if the pick-guard would?

depends on the wood. and how well you remove the old finish. it might not take the stain all that well. and the chemistry of the stain needs to be compatible with the lacquer or poly you use as a finish.

It's an affinity series Squier J-bass neck. not really much of a finish on it. Not glossy or anything. Is there no cheapo way to darken it/make it look aged? :3

very. unless you're skilled at doing inlays. but if you were, you wouldn't have asked.

Actually just saw some of those stick-on inlay things on Ebay that I think i'm gonna use until I am super-skilled with inlays. This IS just a squier that I wanna make more unique. I might go for the full-blown geniuine inlay on a later, better guitar.

Thanks for the help!
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
Dang... How much? Like, would it mess with the pick-ups directly? or change the tone like how different woods make different tones?
much worse. sheet metal is thin. it vibrates easily. the pickups are mounted to it. strings are metal they are also in close proximity to the strings. they vibrate and they affect the magnetic coupling between the magnet and coil of the pickups. that produces the signal you want. the vibrations of this sheet metal pickguard will also produce a signal in the pickups. you will be very displeased with the way this sounds. also, it will be "microphonic". - sound returning to this from the speakers will cause feedback.

Quote by Tone Deaf
It's an affinity series Squier J-bass neck. not really much of a finish on it. Not glossy or anything. Is there no cheapo way to darken it/make it look aged? :3
cheap and easy way would be to add a little brown to the lacquer or poly you spray the neck with. or use a spray varnish for a honey colour.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Well, if it's gonna cost much at all, I would rather not.
never bought one so i don't know how much it would cost. it would be a royal pain to make one, though.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Also, why does this not interfere with the sound if the pick-guard would?
it will affect the tone slightly, but it's thick and fairly stable. plus there's much more distance from the pickup to the handrest than there is between the pickup and the pickguard.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Tone Deaf
OK, SO! I have a squier J bass. I'm a beginner and broke, so I don't want to destroy the thing and be bass-less. It's currently my only instrument.

I like it an all, but I want something a bit... I dunno. Flashier? There are a few mods I have thought about that I could make to it without REALLY spending any money... I think.

SO! I need help!

Question #1=

NO, but it will help shield your pickups from outside interferance

Question #2=

basically what SYK said

Question #3=

Again what SYK said

Question #4=

It's a pickup cover it was used before the days of wax potting to stop feedback problems these days they are just there to look good

Question #5=

yes but it'll feel sticky afterwards you should learn how to refinish properly before you do this

Question #6=

Again what SYK said

SYK you're wrong the pickups are mounted to the body not the pickguard
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
SYK you're wrong the pickups are mounted to the body not the pickguard
i said pickups instead of pickup. we'll split the difference on this one.

you've never owned an instrument with a steel pickguard, or you'd know how heinous they are.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
both are mounted to the body i own 2 jazz basses
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
What if I use a non-magnetic mettal? Alluminum or something? (though, that really wouldn't gimme the rusty look I wanted)

I suppose I could always try it, and if I don't like it, take it off and get somethin else. Just looks like a few screws holding it on.
-Edgar Degas