My whammy bar is like a full 2-3 inches off the body. If I tighten it anymore, It becomes to hard to move around. I'm playing on a strat with the bridge tilted up a little so I can get a down bend. What can I do? (I'd like to maintain the general setup)
Lighten your string guage, other than that you're just gunna have to put up with the tightness.
Quote by Dark_Merlin
Lighten your string guage, other than that you're just gunna have to put up with the tightness.

When I say tight mean moving it back and forth, not bending the strings
What type of bridge do you have? If you have a Strat bridge, lower your stringe gauge. If you have a Floyd Rose then increase your spring tension in the back of the guitar. Hope that helps.
2007 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Marshall JCM900 MkIII 100W Hi-Gain Head
i had the same problem with my strat i had to switch to light strings and tighten the springs in the back of my guitar i hpe this helps because i didnt have any one to help me with this crap i had to tinker with it untill i figured out the problem
Quote by Durendal
What type of bridge do you have? If you have a Strat bridge, lower your stringe gauge. If you have a Floyd Rose then increase your spring tension in the back of the guitar. Hope that helps.

The problem seems to be with the whammy bar getting far enough into it's whole to be able to played comfortably. Right now, my hands have to go a long way from the strings to the bar. The floating vibrato itself seems fine I was just seeing if there was a way I could get the bar closer to the guitar.

Strat Bridge if that helps
I'm confused why everyone keeps suggesting changing string gauge. Truthfully all I would really need is a whammy bar that was smaller and came off the bridge less if I could find one.
Yeah dude it seems like no one really got what you were saying. The strings had nothing to do with how close your trem bar was to the body. It seems that the 1st straight section of your bar, that comes straight out of the bridge, is longer than you like. I suggest you just go to a shop and find one thats shorter, or order one online.
Try getting a different wammy bar altogether. Take your guitar to a guitar shop and they should let you put a few wammys on it to try out and just pick the one that fits best and you like.

They usually cost around £5-7 for the standard strat bridge ones.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone