Okay, I'm a regular here at the good ole UG forums and I also enjoy reading/posting in the comments after news articles that I wanna read (if it is something I dont like I refuse to read about it).

Today I had read the article of how Kirk Hammett was wanting to start his own clothing line for surfers. Without naming names, there was a kid that called Mr. Hammett a douche and a sellout for wanting to start this line.

I expect to get flammed/made fun of/called names due to the fact that I disagree with this kid and many others on UG that tend to throw that term around when someone wants to do something.

One definition of "sellout" that i have seen is "a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement."

I've been a huge METALLICA fan for as long as I can remember, about 6yrs/old, and this is a term I've heard for about every other album for those guys. But if people are willing to call Hammett a sellout for his personal desire to start a surfing (one of his hobbies) line then why cant we call everyone that has ever put their name on a guitar a sell out?

Its something they like (music) and they're hoping that the guitars sell right? Wouldn't this mean that 95% of all music is full of sellouts and that UG hates everyone? If true, then everyone on UG hates/refuses to listen to the music of those sellouts? Also, why would people of UG be on UG to look for music of the people that we all hate? Wouldnt' this pretty much kill music as we know it?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Mr. Hammet is using his name, and his position as an idol for children/guitar players to promote something that is completely unrelated to what he's known for.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Mr. Hammet is using his name, and his position as an idol for children/guitar players to promote something that is completely unrelated to what he's known for.

but he's been known to sure for quite a while actually.

but that still doesn't make sense to me. i only know you as a UG member so if i saw you driving a car you liked i could call you a sellout and it be true?

its not something i know you for, just like you've explained?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Last edited by joshua029 at Jul 22, 2008,
But what I didn't get is that the article said that he had been avidly surfing, but only for a few years. So he's not really been into it for that long. Plus, since when is it metal to own a clothing line?
Quote by BigBrownBeaver
Go home fanboy

i'm already home though...

again, someone else on UG that makes no sense to me...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Seems like it's capitalizing on his own popularity, as I see it. He knows he's famous—consequently, this means that anything with name on it has a definite market. Was selling a signature guitar selling out? I don't see how this is any different. Now, were Kirk Hammett ethically against the commercialization of the music industry..well, then I suppose that you could argue that marketing a clothing line was int he same vein as selling as. Obviously the members of Metallica are a-okay with selling to the crowd.

Saying that a band has "sold-out" is usually such bull****. If you enjoyed writing the music, and if you enjoy playing it live, and if you think that your recording is quality music, who cares if it's like your back catalog or not? Seems to me that the only way to sell out is if you write the album because you want to make money off it, not because you enjoyed writing it. If you actually did not enjoy writing it, then ****..I think that would constitute selling out. Otherwise, get off their backs! They need to make a living too. God knows it isn't easy to make a living in the music industry these days.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by InvaderTSN
There's nothing wrong with selling out. People need money.

I don't think Kirk is selling out though since he actually surfs.

This.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

Quote by KantStopRoKnRol
But what I didn't get is that the article said that he had been avidly surfing, but only for a few years. So he's not really been into it for that long. Plus, since when is it metal to own a clothing line?

Since when should Kirk Hammet, or any one else comply with stereotypes and "standards"? If he likes surfing, it is his choice and desire to open a clothing line to do with surfing.
Quote by KantStopRoKnRol

i'm pretty sure this is correct, but hammett has been surfing for a couple years, pre-st. anger so that easily 5-6 yrs.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Quote by KantStopRoKnRol

He's been surfing for a little longer than that...

EDIT: UGH

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by Rock_Rebel
Since when should Kirk Hammet, or any one else comply with stereotypes and "standards"? If he likes surfing, it is his choice and desire to open a clothing line to do with surfing.

Haha I was kidding about the last part. Hammet can do what he wants, I'm indifferent to it.

VVV I don't really think that, just having a bit of fun is all.
Last edited by KantStopRoKnRol at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by KantStopRoKnRol

not EVERYTHING has to be metal. and who is to judge what is and isnt metal?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by joshua029

Its something they like (music) and they're hoping that the guitars sell right? Wouldn't this mean that 95% of all music is full of sellouts and that UG hates everyone?

I thought you would have picked up on that by now.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I thought you would have picked up on that by now.

haha... maybe i should have...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Quote by InvaderTSN
Since these guys said so.

I sense a plot for a new metalocalypse episode :O
If you havent sold out as much as KISS, then you haven't sold much of anything in my opinion
On the Subject of Hitlers resemblance to Emos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphin
No. Emos can't grow facial hair, not to mention their inability to invade Poland
According to UG, selling out is when you don't make the exact same songs for your entire career. Also, you're a sellout when you begin to get a lot of fans. When you're no longer a tiny band playing small clubs for peanuts, you're a sellout.

Am I right?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
According to UG, selling out is when you don't make the exact same songs for your entire career. Also, you're a sellout when you begin to get a lot of fans. When you're no longer a tiny band playing small clubs for peanuts, you're a sellout.

Am I right?

i can see how this should become a new definition in a dictionary, yes...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Am I right?

Your totally right! God I hate people.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
How the hell is he selling out? It's been known that he is an avid surfer and that is one of his passions, right along with music. This clothing line is based off of his passion and is directed soley at surfers. He's not making a huge, trendy clothing line aimed at kids and he's not sacrificing his morals of beliefs to make a profit. He just wants to make a clothing line for surfing because surfing is one of his passions, which is the exact same thing as releasing a signature guitar. And it's not like he's even doing this for certain, he just said it might happen.
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom