alright, so heres the deal.. ive been playing guitar since i was 13 im now 17 almost 18 and i play for about 2 hours every day and i still cant solo AT ALL.. i cant play solos and i cant write them... can anyone tell me how to further my playing and writing skills?

im open to playing any kind of music just wanna learn to solo(and shred :P) anywho =] give me advice and tips please
Quote by faultyy
Before you go on stage, kidnap a child or pensioner from near the venue, then while your playing keep it in a cage at the front of the stage, maybe urinate on it periodically, I can gaurentee people will remember you
LOL @ you.

For srs though, it doesn't matter how long you practice, but what you do during that time. I would suggest getting a book full of jazz chords and scales, learn those, and learn songs that have solos.

The latter can be awfully hard.
Dorkus.
uhm ive tried them but they dont seem to help much its just this same pattern played over and over
Quote by faultyy
Before you go on stage, kidnap a child or pensioner from near the venue, then while your playing keep it in a cage at the front of the stage, maybe urinate on it periodically, I can gaurentee people will remember you
Learn some solos, for some slow ones that have some difficulty check out some Pink Floyd Solos.
Quote by AKV272
uhm ive tried them but they dont seem to help much its just this same pattern played over and over

playing them over and over help the muscles in your fingers get used to moving IN THAT FASHION. Keep practicing. Play slow at first, really really slow, and speed up from there.

Do you have guitar pro?
Dorkus.
yeah u can learn some solos but from what it seems it sounds like u use the exact scales and patterns in a solo which is why they dont fit. any note from a scale that fits the progression fits in the solo
Quote by Shortcut
playing them over and over help the muscles in your fingers get used to moving IN THAT FASHION. Keep practicing. Play slow at first, really really slow, and speed up from there.

Do you have guitar pro?

yea i have guitar pro 5
Quote by faultyy
Go to a song you like to play, go to where there's a solo, and slow it down to a quarter of the normal time, using that little button.

play until you get the fingerings right.

Speed up.

Get the rhythm down.

Speed up

Practice at .75 of the actual speed.

Go to normal speed.

I've been playing guitar for a year and three months, doing this (along with not having a girlfriend) has allowed me to surpass friends that have been playing for years.

Patience young one.
Dorkus.
alright, thanks alot all for the help.. ill work on scales and try solos slower
Quote by faultyy
i really suggest you learning how to improvise with scales under a teacher's wing. It will help you understand theory on the fly and integrating it into your creativity.

avoid box patterns. hahaha
The blues dude. Learn the blues. Learn the blues scale and play that mother****er all day long. find some decent backing tracks and take it nice and slow and just practice that scale. Once you have it down start learning the modes, different scales, that kind of thing.
Marty Friedman's Melodic Control.

Scott Henderson's Melodic Phrasing seems good too.
Call me Batman.
Shortcut is right. You have to play slow before you can play fast. Stay loose man just pikc one solo that you like and say i will learn this. Then break it into sections as shortcut described and work on it bit by bit slowly untill you can do it. This will help you out and get you fired up to learn more. Dont speed that tempo up untill you can play it nice and clean and relaxed and dont rush yourself and worry about how much time you've been playing.

Time with a guitar in your hands does not = Time spent practicing well. So the amount of years you've been playing doesnt mean anything really. 1 guy could goof around palying greenday and blink 182 songs for fun ( I have no problem with this if that what your into) for 7 years and another could have studied music theory and seriously worked on mastering technique with a metronome constantly practicing and challenging himself with good practice routine for 2 years. Who would be better at guitar?
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jul 22, 2008,