Hi, I been playing about 10 months now. I started on a washburn lyons from target. actually was pink so i sprayed it blue lol besides being bored with it already I feel a need to get something else. I never really had any other guitar and I think Im ready for an upgrade since my playing and knowlegde has gotten so much greater over the 10 months. Does anyone have a suggestion from prior experience as to what I should get (since I am currently shopping)??? I mostly play hard rock and grunge and my amp is a Crate GX212+. My budget is around 400 dollars. Thanks for suggestions!
A strat HSS? I'm not sure what you can get at that price level, but coming from a target brand anything would be good for you.

Squires can be good starting guitars, but be prepared to upgrade again not to far down the line.
Dorkus.
OMG, I started on Target Washburn Lyons too.

Anyways, for $400, I'd recommend either a lower end Ibanez RG (stay away from Edge III trems).

You could also save up a bit and get a Schecter Hellraiser. Mine was about 600 new and it rocks.
2007 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Marshall JCM900 MkIII 100W Hi-Gain Head
Quote by Durendal
OMG, I started on Target Washburn Lyons too.

Anyways, for $400, I'd recommend either a lower end Ibanez RG (stay away from Edge III trems).

You could also save up a bit and get a Schecter Hellraiser. Mine was about 600 new and it rocks.

I bet it was in america, in australia they are nearly triple that
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
For only being at the 10 month mark... keep on practicing, what you have is fine for now.... but being a GAS addict myself I won't fault you if you get something else...

Save your money. Keep practicing, in fact, don't stress about new gear... rather stress about learning theory and work on your ability. 400 bones won't upgrade you so much.... and soon, you will want something even better than your "upgrade".

Save your cash until you have a better feeling for what style you play, or rather, what your "voice" is. Once you've got enough saved up...(at least 1000, you may not need to spend that much, but having the options are better...) then start your shopping.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Epiphone G400
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I agree with Brian the Mayan. While you may not need a new guitar now, when you do upgrade, you may aswell get something decent.

I am in the same situation as the TS, well almost. Ive been playing for around a year I think. I started with an Epi LP100 and an Orange Crush 10w. I recently upgraded my amp and its amazing how much my skill level has gone up. I guess its just because I'm hearing what im playing better.

My 21st is in April and im looking at guitars to get with the money I will get (hopefully) from that. I figure I may as well upgrade to something decent instead of getting a midrange guitar and then having to upgrade again down the line.
Ibanez RG321? I think that would fit your price-range, and it is a decent guitar and would certainly be a good upgrade for you.
Check out the agiles on rondomusic.com
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by AdamDK
Ibanez RG321

This^

or a RG7321, same thing but with a seventh string, never to early to extend your range
Used MIM Strat for sure. Best guitar under 500. If you like harder rock try the HSS.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I would say either the squier jagmaster (good for grunge), or an Epiphone G400 or Les Paul
You obviously have to move up to a Washburn Idol...lol

so be serious man..The RG is a really good guitar.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Yamaha makes really good guitars for around 400 also a jackson dinky or an esp