Can you solo over any progression with the major scale and the natural minor scale?
For example if the progression is like this: ii - iii - IV - I - ii in the key of E can you solo over it with the E major scale and the E Minor scale?
E Major and E minor are two different keys buddy. You'll technically be out of key if you use the wrong one (like soloing with E minor when you're in the key of E Major ). But then again you are soloing and you can do whatever the hell ya want to
Quote by static_music34
E Major and E minor are two different keys buddy. You'll technically be out of key if you use the wrong one (like soloing with E minor when you're in the key of E Major ). But then again you are soloing and you can do whatever the hell ya want to

Yea that was part of my question also. Soloing in a key that is major but using a minor scale over that key. Such as when your in the key of E major you solo with the E major and the E minor. This question came to me when I was jamming to Starry Night by Joe Satriani, and both C major and C minor sounded in key with the song, listening to the song again, I think its because the progression changes in the song. But is it still possible to use the major scale for every progression? Im sorry for the noob question.
you have to understand , the major scale has a certain root note and its 'special' other notes while the minor scale has its root note and its 'special' other notes. thats as basic as i can dumb it down for you. neither scales will be the same ever. If you have a question of ionian mode vs aeolian mode, then in every case its the root note that is different. i hope this helped

*edit*
a major scale as respected intervals from the root note that have a specific job and need their respected chords to follow up. same logic for minor. PLEASE just take this post as a way to help you understand major and minor better. i really did dumb down the explanation.
Last edited by LawnDwarf at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by exotic
Can you solo over any progression with the major scale and the natural minor scale?
For example if the progression is like this: ii - iii - IV - I - ii in the key of E can you solo over it with the E major scale and the E Minor scale?

ok when you play blues you can use major or minor interchangably.

it really depends on the genre of music you are playing.

i use usualy dominant 7th chords in blues but we will just use triads

EMAJ AMAJ BMAJ

145 in 12 bar blues

you can play E major, E natural minor, Edorian, E harmonic minor, E blues scale,E major or minor pents.

IMO these scales are good. blues allows for the major and minors together but something faggy like a simple plan or something would only sound good 5th chords with wiht major minor scale
Yes, you can use any scale or any mode over any progression. The issue is whether it sounds good and whether it fits what you are trying to accomplish.

Music theory isn't right or wrong, it gives some things that generally work and sound good, but rules of thumb aren't the same thing as actual rules. Generally, it takes more understanding (or blind luck) to break those rules, but it does work. You can mix in major intervals to make something sound darker, rather than just using minor intervals exclusively. Generally though, just using the matching scale to the progression is much easier to do, and might be the way to go if you are asking this question.
Sorry, but I just had to ask you this:

What if it's a powerchord, say A

----7----
----5----

Then those four other notes that gives the song it's character.. they don't exist right? There's only two notes now right? So now, basically, can't I just take any scale (with A as key) I want that consists of these two notes (A and E)? Like for example A harmonic minor, A pentatonic and many more?

Thanks
it is technically not even a chord it is just 2 notes/intervals. 1 and 5

because the A5 has no third you can use minor or major but as you add chords your third may be established

but depending on the genre you are playing conflicting scales to progression may sound fine