OK, so im weighing up between a few guitars. I like the look and sound (ive heard it on youtube thus far) of the fender deluxe range of guitars. At the moment, I have looked at the Fender Deluxe Roadhouse and the Fender Deluxe Players Strat. These are the only two in the range that have SSS pickups. The Roadhouse has Fender Tex-Mex pickups and the Players strat has Fender Vintage Noiseless single coils.

So here are my three questions.

1. Has anybody had any experience with these two types of pickups, and if so, how do they sound?

2. Is getting a strat with HSS pickup configuration beneficial or detrimental in any way? I currently have an Epi LP 100 which I am satisfied with for the time being. I just need a guitar that gives a more mellow bluesy kind of sound. Im leaning towards SSS configuration, but im open for suggestions.

3. The Players Strat comes with gold plated hardware. is there and advantage to this, or is it purely aesthetic? Also, both have "vintage style synchronized tremolos". Ive heard some bad stories about tremolos making guitars go out of tune. If anyone has had any experience with these tremolos, can they please shed some light on whether or not they are good?

I like playing Guns n Roses, Clapton, RHCP, Dire Straits and "pub rock" (kinda easy stuff to play but catchy to sing along to when youre drunk, aussies will know what im on about). I play other stuff too, but thats just a quick rundown.
Last edited by monty1104 at Jul 22, 2008,
if you play Guns n Roses,RHCP and so on...you should probably get a HSS strat...It gets annoying to change guitar everytime you want to play a song that uses humbuckers.
HSS strats are really reliable...I got 2 of 'em
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
if you play Guns n Roses,RHCP and so on...you should probably get a HSS strat...It gets annoying to change guitar everytime you want to play a song that uses humbuckers.
HSS strats are really reliable...I got 2 of 'em

Do I lose much variety with the bridge pickup as a humbucker instead of a single coil? What I really mean is, how useful is a bridge single coil? Is it used that much when playing a strat? Ive never really played a strat, so I dont know what to make of it. From what Ive seen though, most people tend to use the neck pickup and the neck/ middle pickups, but using the bridge is more rare. I stand to be corrected though.
If you get a humbucker in the bridge with four wires, you can achieve both single coil and humbucker tones out of it.

I think the standard way of wiring it from fender is to have neck / neck-middle / middle / middle-half the humbucker / full humbucker (that's the way I've got mine), and the middle + half the humbucker gets pretty close to a single coil in the bridge.

You could always wire position 4 to be half the humbucker with no middle (assuming you didn't want to add toggles or coil taps) to achieve both a true single coil bridge and humbucker bridge sound.

I play a lot of music originally played on a les paul with humbuckers, and after spending some time with my strat, it still sounds like a strat with a humbucker. It's a different kind of sound. Since you've already got a guitar with humbuckers, I'd go for an SSS strat just so you can get all those classic tones out of it, but if you like the sound of a strat with a humbucker in the bridge you should definitely go for it.

It's not very expensive to just get another pickguard + pickups and hardware if you decide to change your mind later. There's only three wires that actually connect the pickguard to the guitar components.

The gold plated hardware is just for looks, and a properly set up fender style tremolo won't go out of tune easily, especially if you don't divebomb on it regularly.
I have an SSS strat (Carvin) and it does all those heavy tones fine, it can rival my Ibanezes thicker tones SSS aren't less 'chunky' or whatever you want to call them they just have a different sound, same with using different amps etc.

I'd say go SSS and get a nice set of singlecoils that suit your sound for it. I myself am going to get a set of BKP Irish Tours when I can afford it, though this will sacrifice the heavier sounds.
The strat I'm looking at with the HSS confg is the Deluxe Lonestar Strat. The humbucker is a Seymour Duncan Pearly gates pickup. It is described as having a "four-conductor hookup cable." Is this the setup you were refering to Komet?
Quote by monty1104
The strat I'm looking at with the HSS confg is the Deluxe Lonestar Strat. The humbucker is a Seymour Duncan Pearly gates pickup. It is described as having a "four-conductor hookup cable." Is this the setup you were refering to Komet?
Yeah lonestar strats should have position 4 being middle+half the humbucker and position 5 being the whole humbucker.

You can still get some pretty trebley twang with position 4. I think most people will agree that an HSS strat is more versatile, but it all depends on what you like.
Yeah I know. I think its just going to come down to what I like when I try it out. Thanks for the info on the humbucker setup though.
i have an MIA deluxe HSS strat, agree with the above about the humbucker switching. it's possible to get classic strat SSS tones as well as the all out humbucker sound at position 5.

the two single coil pups are SCN 'hot' which i am really pleased with.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix