I regularly practice a few hours a day (well nights actually), and have been playing for a little over a year. Well I could not practice for 2 days and now it seems I lost a ridiculous amount of skill after just 2 days. I could play all the mode shapes at about 140bpm (16th notes that is), now I cant even get them past 120. My tremolo picking has also gone to crap, I cant even play miserlou very well Does anyone lose ability this fast? It is quite frustrating
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
I regularly practice a few hours a day (well nights actually), and have been playing for a little over a year. Well I could not practice for 2 days and now it seems I lost a ridiculous amount of skill after just 2 days. I could play all the mode shapes at about 140bpm (16th notes that is), now I cant even get them past 120. My tremolo picking has also gone to crap, I cant even play miserlou very well Does anyone lose ability this fast? It is quite frustrating

You need to sorry out your priorities.

You haven't lost any "skill" at all, the things your talking about aren't related to your ability to play the guitar, they're just mindless exercises.

Obviously Misrliou is a good piece of music, but again you're only worried about the tremolo picking, one of the least important techniques in a guitarist's arsenal.

Stop worry about how fast you, it's not important.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It might be good to take it down a notch becouse how fast you can play at your maximum speed is only a small part in being a good guitarist. You should better stick around a speed level you are comfortable with (one that you master with a metronome and without mistakes) say 95 bpm or so and then start to getting the sound and tone you really want. Speed is something that will come over time with experience and getting every note to sound just perfect is something you screw up when focussing on speed and is only achieved with quality practise.

About your question: Yes it's true when i've not played in a few days my fingers get slower to, warm up excersises may help you get over that.
Quote by steven seagull
You need to sorry out your priorities.

You haven't lost any "skill" at all, the things your talking about aren't related to your ability to play the guitar, they're just mindless exercises.

Obviously Misrliou is a good piece of music, but again you're only worried about the tremolo picking, one of the least important techniques in a guitarist's arsenal.

Stop worry about how fast you, it's not important.

As a matter of fact, tremolo picking is one of the most important techniques for a player like me. It depends on your style of music.

Anyway, I've never really experienced this. Well, after a while of not playing, I suck when I warm up, but it's passable. Once I'm warmed up, I'm just as good as I was earlier. Maybe try a loooong warm up first?
Gear:

ESP Eclipse See Thru Black/Cherry
ESP LTD M-200FM
BC Rich Warlock NJ Neck Thru Series
Peavey 5150 head and cab
Boss GT-8
Line 6 PODxt
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Jazz III picks (black)
Arte Sania acoustic
It's happened to me before, some days I'll just sound like complete crap, but that's usually when I don't bother with warming up properly and just play.

When I warm-up, I usually go through some legato runs, string skips and chromatic exercises until I feel sort of warm and then I play the more technical songs I know in order of difficulty and then after that, I'm pretty much all warmed up and ready to practice properly.

But I stay away from exercises unless I can't be plugged in, otherwise, I just learn parts of a new song or clean up the songs I already know, it may not seem so efficient, but I find that with learning a part of a song and playing it cleanly will not only help you phrasing and technique, but you know that one extra part of a song.
Sounds like you haven't warmed up! Just do some chromatic scales and see what happens...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Yep... Warmups and cool your head from these things.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I've gone weeks without playing. As people have said, you just gotta warm up.
I could imagine you could lose skill if you stopped playing guitar for 20 years and then pick it up again.

But no, you cannot lose skill in two days or even two weeks. When a large amount of time goes by like that, I usually warm up by playing lots of chromatic scales up and down the fretboard, then tremolo pick chromatic scales. It's a great way to warm up. There is also an exercise I do that was made by John Petrucci in the book Wild Stringdom. You should pick it up.