Every one already knows what a powerchord is, the problem is that its not a chord ..

i love to jam with some rock and roll every now and then, and i know how badass powerchords are when it comes to simple and mean. but seriously, the 5th interval gets boring and repetitive!!! i always accepted the universal definition of a powerchord to be the 1 and the 5th, but why stop there? i LOVE 2nd 3rd 4th's and when ever necessary the dissident intervals as well. i always loved to call any 2 notes played together as a 'powerchord' because it just makes too much sense to me. What do you guys think? stupid? already another name for any 2 intervals that i dont know of? im curious of what you guys think! Personally it makes explaining my song composition to my friends a lot easier because they dont understand intervals :|..

excuse my horrid use of punctuation :P
Last edited by LawnDwarf at Jul 22, 2008,
Every one already knows what a powerchord is, the problem is that its not a chord

technically, it's a chord. A chord is, according to theory, 3 or more notes played simultaneously. A powerchord fits that definition
and a full power chord is composed of a root, fifth, and octave, and therefore is a chord, according to theory guidelines.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by kylerwoods
technically, it's a chord. A chord is, according to theory, 3 or more notes played simultaneously. A powerchord fits that definition

Except for the fact that a powerchord, by definition, contains two notes. The root and octave are the same note.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As far as I know, two notes also make up a chord, thus making a root and a fifth a valid chord... a powerchord.
some one get the beginners out of my thread. O________O

powechord = 2 notes, not 3 notes. maybe you got confused because your fretting 3 strings.

silly willy
Last edited by LawnDwarf at Jul 22, 2008,
thank you. diad makes sense, but i still hate how powerchord is so specific. i think if they changed what a powerchord means, it would spark more creativity in the thick skulls of beginners. no offense beginners :P
A powerchord gets its name due to the way it can carry distortion. The root/fifth is the strongest interval and does not breakdown under heavy metal style distortion. If you play around with other diads, they will suffer under heavy gain and can therefore never be called powerchords!!!
im going to have to dissagree and agree with you branny. with proper muting, the diads can ring out with taste. But then agian powerchords are popular among people who cant =\
So a Cadd9sus2 isn't a chord since it's a 1st, second and 9th?
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
I messed up sorry. I'm way tired. I was gonna say (w/o the optional 5th) but it still is messed up.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Quote by SaxMachine124
So a Cadd9sus2 isn't a chord since it's a 1st, second and 9th?

Cadd9sus2 is not a chord.

It most certainly is not a chord.... but only because you named it wrong.

The chord is Csus2 and consists of r 2 5 or in this case C D G.

The add9 is just another 2nd degree. You only use 9's and above when working with extended chords.... or in this case if the 3rd was present.
Quote by LawnDwarf
im going to have to dissagree and agree with you branny. with proper muting, the diads can ring out with taste. But then agian powerchords are popular among people who cant =\

I'l agree with that, i love using varried diads when i play rock/metal.

Anything like...

A - 2 5 0 4
E - 0 2 3 5

...that with distortion always sounds beautiful to me, i'd probably have the second guitar Harmonising with the notes on the A or something heh.
Quote by bass guy 129
six hundred. sorry. im from maine and we dont talk no good none up hurr
A powerchord is a root and a fifth. There will be no changing this definition.

However, you are using various diads, as do I. Listen to "In Flames" for some good use of distorted diads, especially "Episode 666."