My band does quite a few gigs locally (festivals and bars usually) and we have played voodoo child and foxy lady at these places but we think they may be too cliche so i decided to ask you guys what hendrix song we could do that is either popular or would go down well that isnt too cliche
Quote by The_0thersid3
i was thinking some thing more upbeat and with a great solo on it. maybe burning the midnight lamp or something like that

hmm, come on pt. 1 fits that description.
Quote by The_0thersid3
Thats a good one.

Just decided to ask this; do you think voodoo child is a cliche song? or do you think we could get away with it?

Well, i dont think its that cliche. But it isnt very unique, everybody has heard it many times. If you play it well i think it would be recieved in a positive manner. It is not even close to smoke on the water or stairway level cliche, so you should be fine if you decide to go with it.
I always thought Long Hot Summer Night went down well.
"And now the details of the company picnic: It will be held at the plant, no food will be served, the only activity will be work and the picnic is cancelled." - C.M.Burns.
Improvised solos on voodoo child would be great, that'd make you stand out. If you have two guitarists, you could extend the song and have guitar duels, before crashing back into the riffage.
Quote by Against Him?
...cross town traffic

ooo or manic depression

Nicely played! As much as I am NOT a Hendrix fan, these are two songs that I would do if I had to do a Hendrix tune. All the others.... not so much.

And as an audience member, I would be delighted that if that band had to get up and do a Hendrix tune, at least it was one of those ones and not the usual suspects.

I say this because you don't need to worry about pleasing the Hendrix fans when you play a Hendrix tune - at least so long as you do it well enough. When you can please those who AREN'T Hendrix fans that you know you have a winner.

CT

(funny enough, I start to like a lot of his tunes when SRV plays them.... I'd go on, but it would probably only incite a flame-war. :lol
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Killing Floor(covered by hendrix, written by Howlin' wolf), Who Knows, Angel
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.