Hey
The next guitar improbably going to get has only one inlay covering the 11th, 12th and 13th frets. Its a Washburn X40 Pro and it has a Rosewood fretboard.
Is it hard/expensiv to get more inlays put in?

Thanks in advance.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
if its just dots you want its pretty easy and you dont have to take the frets out. Anything else would just be too much of a pain in the ass to do.
if you havent done it before i wouldnt try it on a new guitar, take it to either an experienced luthier or someone whos good with wood
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
if you havent done it before i wouldnt try it on a new guitar, take it to either an experienced luthier or someone whos good with wood

I would DEFINATELY not be doing it myself!
I dont trust myself doing much at all.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Firstly is there any reason why you want this doing? because to me it seems a bit of a pointless job.
Secondly if you were to get this done i imagine it would be quite hard and the price would vary upon where you get it done.
it will have side dots
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Any kind of inlay work is expensive. If the frets have to come out add at least 200 bucks to the cost.
Well, I've never actually tried it myself, but I read on this site, this guy took REALLY thin black plastic stuff (I will tell you the site later) and used a hole punch to get the dots and took a drill bit and drilled out the holes by HAND (No tools, they go through too fast).
He only drilled in about 1/32" into the wood. He then placed in super glue and pressed down the dots into the holes. He then used extremely thin sand paper to get it smooth and put some sort of clear coat over it (Laquer I Think???).
This is the site...
http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/strat/intro.htm
If you just want dots thats pretty easy to do. A 1/4 inch forstner bit will make flat bottom holes. I did it to one of mine recently used the bit to drill out the old plastic dots and put abalone dots in. It was a righty neck so I used the proper sized bit to drill shallow holes in the side of the fretboard to put in side dots to make it a lefty. Wouldnt want to try it with a handheld power drill I used a drill press with the depth stop set. Anything more than dots gets a whole lot more complicated.