Hey there UGers,

I was thinking about spending about 550€ for a Classic Player 50's Strat, but since I'm going to the USA next week, I think I just might get the American Standard for about 80-100€ more, which is a great deal for me (since the American Strats here go for about 1100€, or 1700$).

I want to know if anyone has done this, and what problems did you have carrying guitars in planes... and specially getting the guitar through customs when you arrive back home, did you have any problems there?

I see that the American Standard comes with a Hard Case. Is that case good enough for me to get the guitar on a plane without worrying much?

Thanks in advance

JRC
i bought an american standard strat in kentucky some years ago, it was about half the price of one in the UK at the time.

i phoned the airline (delta) the day before flying back and they were very helpful, they let me carry it on board as hand luggage. it wouldnt fit in the overhead storage so they found a place for it during the flight.

customs - i didnt want to risk having it confiscated so declared it, the duty came to something like 20% of what i paid for it. quite a lot, but i still had a good deal.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I was looking into moving overseas, and I enquired about transporting my guitar. The guy at the store said either buy a proper airline case and have it marked as oversized luggage, or buy a hard case, and as dr john suggested, ask if you can bring it as onboard luggage. If it is onboard luggage, a regular hardcase will do fine, otherwise an airline case is the way to go, they are expensive though.
Quote by dr_john
i bought an american standard strat in kentucky some years ago, it was about half the price of one in the UK at the time.

i phoned the airline (delta) the day before flying back and they were very helpful, they let me carry it on board as hand luggage. it wouldnt fit in the overhead storage so they found a place for it during the flight.

customs - i didnt want to risk having it confiscated so declared it, the duty came to something like 20% of what i paid for it. quite a lot, but i still had a good deal.

So I'll have to pay the whole VAT on the 'american' price of the guitar, right?

Another thing: I live in Lisbon, but my connecting flight is through London Heathrow.

Do I have to declare the guitar in London, and then I'll be fine for the rest of the trip (because inside the EU you can carry whatever you want without declaring it, I think)? That would be nice, since your VAT is 17,5% and the Portuguese VAT is 20%. Since we're talking about a 1000$ guitar, it does make a difference...

BTW, I also have a Delta flight, so I guess I'll contact them too.
I've bought my LTD Ex-50 in Singapore when i went there on vacation.
It was like pretty much half the price of one here.
The only thing i needed 2 do was pay some tax (like 5 euro's)for it and they let me put it in the overhead storage.
It came with a soft bag but if you're careful and don't go throw around with it the guitar will be fine.

EDIT : Sorry for the bad english lol
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by JRC7391
So I'll have to pay the whole VAT on the 'american' price of the guitar, right?

Another thing: I live in Lisbon, but my connecting flight is through London Heathrow.

Do I have to declare the guitar in London, and then I'll be fine for the rest of the trip (because inside the EU you can carry whatever you want without declaring it, I think)? That would be nice, since your VAT is 17,5% and the Portuguese VAT is 20%. Since we're talking about a 1000$ guitar, it does make a difference...

BTW, I also have a Delta flight, so I guess I'll contact them too.

If you have to leave the airport (IE go through customs) in London, then you declare it there. Seeing as though it is a connecting flight though, I'd assume you only go through customs in Lisbon.
^ i'm not sure about this, but that sounds right.

as for the duty payable, in the UK it's VAT (17.5%) plus import duty of another 6% or so. at the time i brought mine back (1990) UK VAT was only 15%.

i do know people that have breezed through the green channel and paid nothing, depends how lucky you feel on the day i guess. don't fancy it myself!
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Well I'll have to go to different Terminals while at Heathrow... idk.

My biggest concern has to be the guitar itself, because if for one reason or another the guitar has to go with the rest of the luggage and I don't have an airline case, I'm pretty much f*cked... And my trip is quite long -> I have 3 flights with 3 different airlines. I'll contact them all and see what I can do.

Oh, and last year I bought like 500$ in pedals (wah + distortion + delay + etc...) at guitar center and got through customs like nothing ever happened.

Don't know if I'll take that chance again
i bought my ibanez j custom from a seller on ebay it came all the way from hongkong. I paid 650 for it but customs charged me 150
I just put mine in a soft case and carefully take it onboard with me. It fit in the overhead compartment.

This is a little risky, but I don't have a very expensive guitar that I need to cherish..
I have bought 2 guitars while on trips to china. First one I just took apart and put in my suitcase never had an issue. The second I bought with a hardcase, never had an issue at customs either. I went back for an extend visit and took it apart and put in my suitcase again. There is usually a threshold of value before you need to declare stuff. But I just dont say anything at customs havent had a problem yet. I carry a receipt for a guitar bought in the states if they ask so "how can I be importing it if I bought it here".