OK, i hope that this is the right forum.
So i am mostly a rhythm guitarist. I've played a few solos now and then but you know, nothing that fast or technical. Just slow stuff basically. So today i was playing Seek and destroy and it annoyed me that i can't play the solo.
What would be the best way to start learning...early Metallica solos? Which one is the easiest one?
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
I don't know too much about Metallica solos, but the first 3 solos I ever learned were the solos to Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, the solo to Paranoid by Black Sabbath, and the solo to Ain't Talkin Bout Love by Van Halen. Those 3, especially the Nirvana one are pretty easy solos to start with.

Edit: If you want a broader selection of solos than the 3 I gave you, there's also a thread in one of the other subforums that's created specifically to give solo ideas to beginners.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349808

Double Edit: Whoa, I just realized it's you, and that I keep running into you XD.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Last edited by Mlrc at Jul 22, 2008,
Play some Eruption, it basically has everything you can find in a Metallica solo, except sweep picking.

An easy one to learn, and was my first Metallica solo is probably One. Then maybe The Four Horsemen.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
If you want and intermediate level solo, try one by metallica, it's not that hard it just takes a lot of practice.
Try Sweet Child O mine. There are 2 "interludes" and the main solo. They increase in difficulty as the song goes on, so its a good way to work up your skill level.
Last edited by monty1104 at Jul 22, 2008,
Ok thanks for the good advices people!

Mlrc, it's your fate lol.
Quote by stinger12345
Quote by Tom_hatton
First solo I learnt was 'Nothing Else Matters', it's really easy.

Thanks man, i already know it. Great solo.
Quote by stinger12345
I think Seek and Destroy, personally, would be a great choice. Just play every note at a slow speed, and make sure that you articulate every note you play. From there, work up your speed slowly but surely until you reach the speed of the solo. Since you are new to lead guitar, maybe you should purchase a metronome.
Quote by Centrifugal
I think Seek and Destroy, personally, would be a great choice. Just play every note at a slow speed, and make sure that you articulate every note you play. From there, work up your speed slowly but surely until you reach the speed of the solo. Since you are new to lead guitar, maybe you should purchase a metronome.

I think that i'll try that too, i really want to play that solo. And i already have a metronome thanks.
Quote by stinger12345
Come As You Are has to be the easiest.

A cool solo though might be the star spangled banner. With the the right distortion, people will be impressed. Easy to remember too.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
pick one you like and learn it.My problem is if I don't constantly go over one I forget it.I use to know Rush Freewill solo about note for note and totally forgot it now.

But I can make up my own also and learning a bunch of licks and riffs from various sources makes that happen.Still,sometimes I get caught in a rut by it.

Some songs you gotta do it note for note because the solo is so signature like the song "All Right Now" by Free and then there are songs you can mess around with and do your style like 'La Grange" by ZZTop
Last edited by LK_revival at Jul 22, 2008,
My first solo was Black Sabbath's Iron Man solo. It wasn't extremely hard to learn after 4-5 months of playing guitar. You should give it a try if you haven't already.
Quote by RoamingConflict
I think that i'll try that too, i really want to play that solo. And i already have a metronome thanks.

the hardest part of that solo is the first part, once you get that down its pretty easy but the string transfering is kind of hard, i almost have it down.

the last four horsemen solo isnt too hard, it has fast parts but its all on the top string so it isnt too hard plus it has an awesome arpeggio lick at the beginning courtesy of Dave Mustaine.

also try the first few Welcome Home Sanitarium solos, i learned those in like 20 minutes.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)