Im joining a new band, who are mainly rock orietated (like me) but also play blues. Now, I have no knowledge of any blues stuff at all and would like to do my homework before I go and rehearse. Can anyone suggest any good Blues albums I could learn and practice? Oh, I'm the Rhythm guitarist by the way so not too bothered about leads...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
listen to the three kings ( b.b, albert, freddie) and other blues fathers like robert johnson, howlin wolf ( with hubert sumlin on guitar), buddy guy, hendrix, muddy waters and so on...

listen to their music and feel it! learn some licks but don´t copy everything, you got to find your own style!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Learn the twelve bar blues form of by heart. You might also find useful to learn the pentatonic major, Pentatonic minor and the Blues scale.

oh yeah...READ THE FAQ AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.
Last edited by sakura'sdarkest at Jul 22, 2008,
Well, you probably don't want to actually learn the songs, because that is exactly what blues is not about. Get a feel for people like B.B. King, Clapton etc. and just get a feel for it. I'd suggest you learn 12 Bar and the blues scale (just the pentatonic with a few extra notes) if you haven't already.
yeh 12 bar blues is good to practise, status-quo use that a lot.

i'd also reccomend clapton, doyle bramhall II, and john mayer to you. they're all relatively upbeat yet blues.

some people have said BB king, and while yes he is a top class blues player don't get me wrong, i just find him a bit depressing. sorry.

like i seen him on jools holland the other week and he played after the RHCP played dani california and he totally killed the upbeat mood, silly man!