i play bass in a band because i like to do both. i play a squier 4 string bc it was on sale (bad choice)

i found out i could get an american jazz bass for 400$ from a close friend. its a five string.

my other friend said there is no point on getting a 5 string until you have completely mastered using a 4 string. to me thats stupid bc i can get a 1200 bass for a a third of the price

so bassists of UG should i get the 5 string even though im not really an accomplished bassist (basically i can do walking basslines, decent amounts of slapping and popping [think rhcp] and ya i jam on bass alot with my friends)

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

go for it, coz it wiull just make u want to play more
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
heck yes!
If the bass is working properly and you like it thats one heck of a steal.
If you dont like it get it anyway and you can sell it for double.Having 5 strings is just like having an extra toe, if you dont play it.It wont really get in the way.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
You will have to get used to the extra string. Especially with popping and slapping. If you think you can handle it, then go for it. You don't NEED to be Les Claypool or Victor Wooten to play a bass with more than four strings, no need to be a master at it, but it is a little different.
Of course. There's no reason not to, just make sure it's right for you and that you're comfortable with it. As long as you're comfortable on a fiver, it'll do nothing but help you. You have more notes in any one hand position at any given time, so why is that bad? Plus, that's a hell of a deal.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
okay i will see what i can do to get it. hopefully he doesnt put it on ebay!

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I had the same problem with getting a 7 string guitar, but i got it even though im not that good at guitar, took some time to get used to bigger neck, but after that it was great
I was in your same position, I got an Ibanez acoustic bass for basically nothing, though Id barely even dabbled in bass. Maybe youll play it and develop a crazy love for bass, and like someone mentioned ^, worst case scenario, you sell it.
Your Signature:
Quote by justinrobbins7
I was in your same position, I got an Ibanez acoustic bass for basically nothing, though Id barely even dabbled in bass. Maybe youll play it and develop a crazy love for bass, and like someone mentioned ^, worst case scenario, you sell it.

ABG's are very dodgy and unless it's a thunderchief I doubt they'd ever get someone into bass guitar...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
well it would be kinda stoopid if you intend on keepin up bass... to wait until your 'ready' and then spend 1200 so id say go for it!
Quote by timzee117
i play bass in a band because i like to do both. i play a squier 4 string bc it was on sale (bad choice)

i found out i could get an american jazz bass for 400$ from a close friend. its a five string.

my other friend said there is no point on getting a 5 string until you have completely mastered using a 4 string. to me thats stupid bc i can get a 1200 bass for a a third of the price

so bassists of UG should i get the 5 string even though im not really an accomplished bassist (basically i can do walking basslines, decent amounts of slapping and popping [think rhcp] and ya i jam on bass alot with my friends)

If you're gonna play it frequently go for it. Thats a deal not to be sniffed at. Hell i'd have bitten the guys hand off.
Quote by timzee117

Do want

£200? Thats cheaper than a Mexican Jazz for crying out loud :*(
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
5-strings are no harder to play, its not like there's some secret to playing them, its just a wider neck and closer string spacing, absolutely buy it you won't regret and you will become a superior musician.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
do it. I would take that deal in a second. you should whip out your wallet, pay, grab the bass, and run. lucky man.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You should definately get it. I once had a MIA Jazz but sold it cus of some problems with the nut (which would have been an easy fix). It was the biggest mistake of my life .
Quote by merfsullivan
You will have to get used to the extra string. Especially with popping and slapping. If you think you can handle it, then go for it. You don't NEED to be Les Claypool or Victor Wooten to play a bass with more than four strings, no need to be a master at it, but it is a little different.

Best-put response of this thread so far.

TS, your friend is wrong when he says that you cannot play a fiver until you master a four. That's ridiculous. However... I totally disagree with people who say that having a fifth string doesn't get in the way in any way whatsoever. Maybe I've got some kind of psychological dependency on the E string being my lowest string, but playing a fiver to me is uncomfortable, because I haven't gotten used to it yet. And of course, the neck width takes a little getting used to too.

I say that to say this: buy that bass TODAY. Learning to play a fiver is learning to drive a standard. At first, it'll be uncomfortable, but it's a totally great thing to learn how to do, even if you don't plan on using one all the time. Plus, as has been said, $400 for a MIA? Freaking STEAL.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater

TS, your friend is wrong when he says that you cannot play a fiver until you master a four. That's ridiculous. However... I totally disagree with people who say that having a fifth string doesn't get in the way in any way whatsoever. Maybe I've got some kind of psychological dependency on the E string being my lowest string, but playing a fiver to me is uncomfortable, because I haven't gotten used to it yet. And of course, the neck width takes a little getting used to too.

I say that to say this: buy that bass TODAY. Learning to play a fiver is learning to drive a standard. At first, it'll be uncomfortable, but it's a totally great thing to learn how to do, even if you don't plan on using one all the time. Plus, as has been said, $400 for a MIA? Freaking STEAL.

Your are simply used to 4 strings. As said before, it is only harder because it is different. I play 5 better than 4, simply because I am amore used to playing on a 5.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Tell your friend to shut up. More strings =/= more difficulty. Then run and get that fiver. I'd NEVER blow the chance to get that bass for so cheap. Hell if you end up not liking it, I'm pretty sure you could sell it for more than what you paid for it.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by gm jack
Your are simply used to 4 strings. As said before, it is only harder because it is different. I play 5 better than 4, simply because I am amore used to playing on a 5.

Quote by WhyLater

When you search deep inside yourself, gm jack, you'll find that you and I are actually one and the same.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
When you search deep inside yourself, gm jack, you'll find that you and I are actually one and the same.

I was agreeing and reitterating. You said it in a more 'probably' way. I said definately.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by WhyLater

Personally I find fivers more comfortable to play and I disagree that learning on a 5 string is any different from learning on a 4, it's the same except the string spacing is tighter, you could just be playing on a bass with smaller string spacing!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by timzee117
my other friend said there is no point on getting a 5 string until you have completely mastered using a 4 string.

Every time I read something like this I facepalm. Seriously, more strings =/= more skill. It's just different, and, to me, more convenient because you don't have to move around the fretboard quite so much.

But go for it, it sounds like a good deal. And if you don't like it, sell it.=P