www.myspace.com/thepressmen

Could Tell us what you think of our music and what you like and such? thanks

Edit: The main lead singer was sick during the recording of George Nelson, Japan and part of corgan. also most of the screw ups were because it was the first time we ever did tracks.
Last edited by BFAbassist306 at Jul 22, 2008,
Normally I would listen to each song and comment on particular things about each in a fair amount of detail, but I'm kind tired right now so please excuse my short review (if I have a chance and you want more feedback from me I'll go over each individual song later).

I've only listen to Blowtorch and Japan fully so far and the first comment I'd like to make is that you have a really good singer. The vocalist really suits this genre of music, and I really like what you've got going on in terms of music. The guitar solo in Japan fits really well, so props on that too!

However, also in one of those songs (I think it was Japan) your drummer went slightly off time at one point, but recovered nicely. There's not much you can do about that now except practice, so just keep up the good work and any and all rhythmic issues should sort themselves out over time.

I'll get back to you in more detail later, when I have a chance.

EDIT: I am back now - are you prepared for a fair amount of reading?

I'll start with the first song, "Blowtorch". Firstly - I'm absolutely loving the opening. Any band that includes a meme in their songs is cool with em. This is a good qaulity recording in my opinion, and the vocals sound really good and fit really well to the music. I'm not a fan of the part around 2:30 - I liked everything leading up to that a lot better because it had a lot more energy. At 2:30 it feels like the song loses the edge that it had, or that your tried to splice two separate songs together. That being said, the solo is not a bad solo - I quite like it, and after the transition between parts everything works out. I recommend having a smoother transition between those parts.

Onto "Orange Door Hinge" and I've got to say I quite like this take on blues. The title instruments all seem to blend fairly well in this, and once again, the vocals fit very well. I like the solo, though I'm not too fond of the opening part that climbs. Once again, the transition totally confused me - it doesn't feel like it fits there very well at all but once it happens everything sounds good again. I think you need to work on creating smoother transitions and I like the guitar solo here too.

Next is "Corgan" and I like the lick at the beginning, but the vocals don't really fit well over this in my opinion. When the drums come in the singer starts singing about disappointment everything blends together really well again, but when it reverts to the riff the vocals sound kind of out of place again. I think that the vocals would fit better over this part if you had a different vocal melody here. Once again, the guitar solo fits very well, good stuff there.

"George NelsonElectric Sheep" is a sick groove. This is my favourite track so far - everything sounds really good together and that riff is extremely catchy. The vocals fit really well as well. I don't really have anything negative to say about this track except that it really rocks...except perhaps the ending bit, which I feel is totally unnecessary.

Now I'm listening to "When the Time Goes" and I think the way the instruments blend together but the vocals sound really iffy in this track. I think they could sound a lot better, so I recommend raising the vocal levels and getting your singer to sing a tad more clearly for this song. It's not a bad song, but I think it feels kinda boring in comparison to your other work.

Last but not least, "Japan". I like that bass lick and the way that the guitar and rums lock and then the bass comes in with that energy. The vocals sound really good on this track too. This is another really catchy tune, and I would consider it my second favourite. Also, excellent rockin solo.

Overall, the only thing I think you guys need to work on is the transitions between parts in Blowtorch and Orange Door Hinge, and maybe the vocals in Corgan. However, overall everything sounds really good.

If you've got a chance check out my acoustic solo project (the link is in my sig). I've added you as friend on myspace as well, and any feedback would be appreciated. http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914968
Last edited by Tsunoyukami at Jul 22, 2008,
Blowtorch: nice intro! haha. i enjoy your bass lines. you have some timing issues though. work on that. drums could come up in the mix. the song is really good, but the recording/playing could use some work timing wise. the vocalist very impressive.

Orange Door Hinge: you should work on coming up with different intro's it has a very similar intro to blowtoarch. nice feel to the song. vocals are again excellent. maybe try adding some harmonies?

corgan: i like the riff. i think that the bass and guitar shouldn't match so closely. the vocals weren't so good in the verses. the chorus was very nice. i think that on the verse riff it would be really cool if you added a harmony guitar.

Nelson: your slap tone could be crisper. it sounds like you need new strings. i like the feel, but timing again could use some work. the bassline was quite good. i enjoyed. i enjoyed the vocals less in this song than others.

when the time goes: i like the clean guitar in this alot. very groovy. the vocals were very cool in this. this really reminds me of the early 70's.

Japan: another bass intro? nice riff, but still. i like the classic feel to this. vocals sounded like he was singing a bit out of his range. probably the cold. good writing.

in general, i was really impressed with the writing and overall feel, but i felt that timing could be greatly improved, as could recording quality.

check out mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915954
Too cool for a signature.
Last edited by chrisatgrace at Jul 22, 2008,
Thanks. Could u point times where the bass needs to work on the timing? if its on the 4th solo thing in blowtorch, its because i totally forgot about. oh and George Nelson, slapping on an old pair of Steve harris flatwounds dont sound good at all lol, Plus ive practiced a bunch more since i recorded george nelson, Corgan, Japan, When The time goes. And about japan's bass tapping intro, i was tapping on a P bass with very high action so i had to stop at times to rest for a split second.
Quote by BFAbassist306
Thanks. Could u point times where the bass needs to work on the timing? if its on the 4th solo thing in blowtorch, its because i totally forgot about. oh and George Nelson, slapping on an old pair of Steve harris flatwounds dont sound good at all lol, Plus ive practiced a bunch more since i recorded george nelson, Corgan, Japan, When The time goes. And about japan's bass tapping intro, i was tapping on a P bass with very high action so i had to stop at times to rest for a split second.

mostly on the all bass intro's when you don't have the drums to guide you. there are a couple spots where the entire band has some timing trouble. but it's pretty much outshown by the quality of the songs.
Too cool for a signature.
Thanks. Basicly i semily get nervous when recording. I have no clue why. But when we practice as a whole and not record in tracks i get it perfectly. Thanks man.
Don't keep on posting like that or you'll eventually get reported and receive a warning. Just be patient for now - come back in an hour or two or tomorrow and maybe a few more people will have given you their opinions.

If you're looking to get others to check you guys out you might want to check out some of the bands on here and tell them what you think. Then, ask them to check out your stuff. Anyways, let me know when you get any more recordings up and I'll be sure to let you know what I think about those songs too.