Ive got a fender strat and its kind of new, so i havent gotten new strings for this guitar yet. i play a lot of jimi hendrix, guns n roses, velvet revolver, led zeppelin, aerosmith, a lot of bluesy rock, and occasionally i play some heavy metal like metallica.... im not really familar with gauges.. i like my strings thin so its somewhat easy to bend up 2 frets, but not too easy so that it could result in an "overbend" too easily... i would like to know what gauge to get, and what brand, but the brand really isnt that important to me.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball .10 or .9

Can't go wrong with EB, except that you have to replace them every couple weeks since they wear out quickly.
the industry standard is d'addario 10's
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
GHS Progresives or Boomers, 9-42. 9's or 10's its your preference that matters.
boomers in 11's
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Elixir 10s
D'Addario 10-52s
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
if you start out with 9's and switch to 10's, you'll probably need to adjust the bridge afterwards.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
+1 on the D'addarios I use them in .09s on my Telecaster but anyway I know that Fender guitars come with .09s from the factory so if you like the strings that came on your guitar then you should get another set of .09s. Here's the string gauge that fender uses, high E string (thinnest) .009, B string .011, G string .016, D string .024, A string .032, and low E string .042
hope this helps!
Rudeboy out!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Jul 22, 2008,
I use .10 or .11 gauge strings. The .11s have better tone, but the .10s are easier to push down and bend with. You would probably want the .10s.

As for brand, I use DR strings. I like how they feel and sound. Also, they're coated so they last a lot longer, but they don't feel coated at all.
Quote by System of a Dog
When I told some random fat guy I played guitar, he tried to test me with this melon scratcher:

"What's a plectrum then?"

He didn't even play himself...
I have tried many string types, and I keep coming back to Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's

I've never noticed that they wear out quickly?
The thing is, though, that I have tried Super Slinky's and Power Slinky's and I don't really like them?

I guess Regular Slinky's just do it for me.
i got 9's d'addarios
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby