Howdy

~I've been playing just over 2 years and i've coem to the point where I want to learn a solo, i've learnt little solos before, more slow melodic short ones but i've learnt an entire King Diamond song (Arrival) and it has 4ish solos I believe but it looks like I couldn't possibly play that fast.

My fingers just don't do it, as well as the picking hand.

Is it just learning and the ability will come?

Any tips?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Last edited by David_VI at Jul 22, 2008,
Start with easier solos, Highway to Hell by AC/DC is perfect.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yah dude I understand you I have the same problem but i found that as i worked on slower stuff i slowly started to get faster without knowing it so practice some easy stuff first and yah it'll come.... try out Reptilia by The Strokes thats a pretty easy song to learn with a little practice if you know how and you could probably get some good practice on chords and stuff on exo-politics by muse cause there is alot in there that really helped me
Quote by David_VI
Howdy

~I've been playing just over 2 years and i've coem to the point where I want to learn a solo, i've learnt little solos before, more slow melodic short ones but i've learnt an entire King Diamon song (Arrival) and it has 4ish solos I believe but it looks like I couldn't possibly play that fast.

My fingers just don't do it, as well as the picking hand.

Is it just learning and the ability will come?

Any tips?

dude i have the exact same problem.
it sucks.
no megadeth solos for me
What I do when I want to play something fast is do a picking exercise and then a finger exercise, then both at the same time. For my fingers I play all the scales I know as fast as i can WITHOUT alternate picking. Then for my picking, I alternate pick as fast as I can while getting every fret as smoothly as possible. Then I play one or two scales as fast as I can while alternate picking. This whole thing lasts about one minute for me, i just do it until my fingers feel more dexterous.

Keep in mind that if you cant play something at full speed, just practice it slow and look for acuracy. once you memorize the notes, you'll be able to work on the speed.
Highway to Hell looks fun to learn, however its totally different to the kind of solo i've been trying to learn. Will it still help? it doesn't seem to involve going up and down scales at a bit of speed like the solo I was trying to learn.

I'm just a bit confused about how it will help

Thanks guys
David
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
You've got to start reeeeaaallly slow!!!

It takes days of practice to get a little faster, not a few hours.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
You should do the "Spider" exercise, which is playing the frets like : 1,2,3,4 and then 4,5,6,7,8 and so forth.

Also, you MUST practice with a Metronome, I know it's boring, but it's the only accurate way to build speed and dexterity.
Thanks.

While i'm here how do I get a good lead sound? I can't explain the sound i'm thinking of it except it sounds more round and smooth, is it more bassy or what?

Thanks
David
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
wasting love by iron maiden has an awesome and easy solo
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by David_VI
Highway to Hell looks fun to learn, however its totally different to the kind of solo i've been trying to learn. Will it still help? it doesn't seem to involve going up and down scales at a bit of speed like the solo I was trying to learn.

I'm just a bit confused about how it will help

Thanks guys
David

A solo is a solo - if you want to learn hard solos then you need to build up to them, start simple with stuff like highway to hell and when you can play it and other similar solos you can look for a few things that are a little harder and gradually keep increasing the difficulty.

If you try to play something that's too far ahead of your current abilities you'll jus thit a brick wall.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sometimes I have trouble with certain phrases in a solo, something like a rash of 16th or 32nd notes so I convert them into down picking notes. That's to work on the timing and after that I can get back on them.

That way your double picking becomes second nature after you worked on your down pick timings.

I don't know if that makes sense to y'all but it works.
Quote by SLD.Potato
You've got to start reeeeaaallly slow!!!

It takes days of practice to get a little faster, not a few hours.

More like months to get a tiny bit faster.
Practice your scales over and over and over. It's helping me alot. Also dude, learn solos in little pieces, don't try to do the whole thing at once. If you use the tabs on this site, learn one bar at a time and try to perfect it, it takes alot longer, but its better than trying to learn everything all at once.
Last edited by guitarrra at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by David_VI
Thanks.

While i'm here how do I get a good lead sound? I can't explain the sound i'm thinking of it except it sounds more round and smooth, is it more bassy or what?

Thanks
David

you mean like what Steve Vai's tone is? that's powertube saturation.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can usually get a "rounder" sound by switching to your neck pickup. At least that's the case on both of my axes.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Trust these guys when they tell you to take it slow.
I've been playing for like 6 months and I wanted to learn a solo by SOAD (not too hard but way ahead of my ability, or so I tought)
one week later when i was playing with background music I found that i was playing it too fast hehe
just be patient (because it can get very boring.....)
What solos are you wanting to learn?

Always break a solo up into as many small licks as possible. Some solos have long phrasings that are a pain to learn as one lick, so break the solo up as much as you possibly can. Once you can play all the licks, start stringing them together. The first 2 solos that I learned that were considered "hard" for a beginner were Stairway and Sweet Child (cliche, I know lol).

Sweet Child has the quick E harmonic minor scale ascend (it's actually Eb but whatever). I literally broke that short 3-second run into 5 pieces. I learned each lick perfectly, then started to string them together, then practiced adding the wah. I learned it within two weeks. Even the hardest-soundign things can be easily learned with slow, good practice and dividing the piece up into segments.

When you practice a lick, don't play it any faster than you can play it without making any mistakes. Practice it right, and ou'll play it right.

Here's a little fact for you: your brain must do something 28 times to make it a habit. You have to floss for 28 days until you start doing it without thinking. Parallel park in the same spot 28 times in a row and you can do it blindfolded. When learning the harmonic minor scale after months of playing natural minor, you can do it subconsciously if you play it 28 times perfectly. Well, apply this idea to you practice. Play each lick 28 times perfectly, then play the next lick 28 times perfectly, then string them together and play that 28 times. Practice the next lick 28 times perfectly, add it to your run, and play the whole thing 28 times. You'll be worn out after 4 licks. Do 4 licks one day, then keep adding 4 more each day until you can play the whole solo perfectly. Once you've got the whole solo, work up your speed. Alwatys keep everything at the same tempo. After you do an entire solos like this, you'll be able to play it blindfolded behind your back upsidedown and with 15 shots of tequila in your system. Yes, it works that well.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
IMHO another good reason to work through other, easier solos first is ear training. A big part of being able to solo effectively is knowing where your sounds are and how they fit a progression. Don't just mindlessly play notes; really listen to tones and how they work (or don't work) together. Then you'll not only learn to solo, you'll be able to learn how to solo on the fly and be creative with it, which is far more valuable.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
for speed in your fretting hand try exercising and stretching your fingers alot. i used a finger exerciser and i think it really helped IMO.

for the picking hand practice alternate picking. it seems hard at first but keep going at it. i first learned to alternate pick when i was learning Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci, which is a song alternate picking is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

practice scales alot with a metronome.
and basically when everyone said,
good luck
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
buy a metronome. and if any one else doesnt have one, you should buy one too.
Mama I'm Comin Home - Ozzy Osbourne. best slow easy solo in existence. it's so crazy good and easy.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
For example, I have just learned the final solo from Metallica - One.
The part right after the tapping, which goes:

e|-15h17p15----------15-15h17p15-------------15h17p15-------15h17--|
b|----------17-17-19-------------17-15-17h19----------17p15--------|
g|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

I new that from a long time ago but never practiced it. So I played those notes and as much as I tried I couldn't play them fast enough. So I tried to just hit them slowly and acurate.
One day later I can play it at normal speed. It's weird, but if you practice something slowly and keep on doing that, eventually you'll be able to pull it off nicely!
The same thing happened to me in the final master of puppets solo. My advice is, play slowly first and do that for a long time.
Quote by philipp122
(...)

+3.14159

philipp122, your "do-something-28-times-and-you-memorize-it" theory seems extremely interesting... I never noticed there was a "specific" number of times you had to repeat something in order to memorize it, but now that you mention it...
I'm going to start repeating riffs and licks AT LEAST 28 times to get a more solid guitar practice!

Good advice, man!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112