I recently bought a used B-52 AT-100 head on ebay. It was delivered today and i have a few questions. The cab should be coming on friday. I am going to Guitar Center today and I need to know a few things before I go.

1. I know your not supposed to play a head without loudspeakers connected. But can I turn it on and leave it on standby to see if all of the tubes are working. The should glow, shouldn't they?

2. I think there are supposed to be clips to hold the power tubes in place. There is one for the reverb tube (at least I think its the reverb) but there aren't any for the power tubes. Are they really necessary and should I buy new ones?

3. What is the best way to reattach loose tolex?

If I have any more questions I may post them later in the thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
1. I think you should be fine as long as its on standby, because there should be no signal running through the amp, but im not 100% sure.
2.I'm not sure if they are 100% necessary, but i know mine, and most other tube amps have them, so if your transporting the amp, they might be needed so the tubes dont get out of place or break.
3.cant help you there.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
1. Don't do it. A head ALWAYS needs a speaker load, even on standby

2. you mean the little metal bracket things at the base of the tubes? They should be there anyway. If you mean the little cap things to hold some tubes in, then no

3. Is there a tear near it? B-52s always have the WORST tolex. It seems to tear if you look at it wrong, and always comes undone. I would just retolex it personally. It's easy, kinda fun and lets you pick your own look
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I do mean the metal bracket things. There are holes at the base of each tube where it looks like the bracket should be screwed on. They are at the same place as the one that is actually installed on the (i just found this out) rectifier tube.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I have found that the tolex on the head isn't really even glued down in most places. On my spider, the tolex is like a rock. Is tolex supposed to be loose or really glued down? Is the tolex on all B-52s that loose?
I am probably gonna end up redoing it so does anyone have any suggestions for where to get some tolex and how to apply it?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Nope, the tolex on my 212 is pristine.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Like I said, B-52 does a crappy job on the tolex. I had to redo the tolex on my old B-52. It is supposed to be glued down. Sometimes I wonder if B-52 tried to tolex with a glue stick. To top it off its super soft and tears easily
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I've had 2 B-52 amps, an LS head(which was a piece of junk) and the AT212 that I have now. Never had a problem with the tolex on either of them, and I beat that LS to sh!t..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator