hey guys. i'm currently playing an epiphone sg-400 (everything is stock on this guitar) and i need to get into a drop A tuning. what would be the right gauge string for me to use?
What gauge do you use in standard? Something like .13's would probably be appropriate, but you're most likely going to need a pretty major setup.
You can try to work yourself up (or down). Try to tune it with different gauges to see what fits you. If it's to sloppy move up a gauge and if it's to firm, step down.

But yeah as hrdcorelaxplaya said, .13 should be enough, tho it depends on what fits you.
Gear:
Ibanez S5470TKS
Marshall MF80
no because the tension of 13's in drop A is more or less the same as 10's in standard i think
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by alexpalka23
alright cool. do you think that a set of 13's would warp the neck of this guitar?

Probably not, provided in Drop A it's at the same tension as a lighter gauge in standard. Your intonation is bound to get a little screwy, though, and you might need to file down your nut some more.
ok. good to know guys. thanks for the input. if anyone else has some advice, don't hesitate to add it. i will be going with the 13's probably.
try 8's,lol.jk 13's should be perfect
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Alvarez 6 string acoustic
Alvarez 12 string acoustic/electric
B.C. Rich Warlock
SQUIER
Ibanez 4 string bass

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace
-Jimi Hendrix R.I.P