Well GG&A, I just sold my MG100HDFX halfstack yesterday (for $400!) and now have $800 to spend on a new amp. Hell yeah!

This'll be my first foray into tubeland and I've narrowed down my choices somewhat between the:
Traynor YCS50 combo
Mesa F-30 and F-50 combos

I've looked at the Tiny Terror too, but the lack of cleans/clean headroom has me weary.

Tones I want to achieve/like:

Cleans: Peter Green (think "The First Train Home")
David Gilmour ("Echoes" "Shine On")
John Frusciante
BB King

Basically I love that Fender Twin Reverb style clean tone.

Medium Gain: Hendrix
Robin Trower
Gilmour again
Peter Green (Rattlenake Shake/Oh Well)

However, I also love that early Marshall tone, especially the JTM45.

High Gain: Chevelle
Tool
Flyleaf
Evanescence
Mastodon
System of a Down
Metallica
Shinedown

My favorite lead/hard rock/metal tones are usually Mesas as it turns out. Recs, Stilletos, Marks. I want a hard rock/metal tone that is full, big, and warm, that's high gain but has note clarity and definition, i.e. can't be muddy or flabby.

Basically, I need versatility in this amp. Fenderish cleans, a crisp classic rock and blues crunch and enough gain for hard rock and some metal (although no crazy death metal or anything).

Also, volume is a bit of an issue as I'm playing to my basement walls right now but will be jamming with friends and so this amp needs to get over drums and be able to play small gigs in the future. I'd like to keep things at 50 watts and below.

I'm worried the F-50 may be too powerful, but I've read over on HC that there's a line attenuator box that you can build to tame things down.

The YCS50 has a 50/15 watt switch that would make it ideal for basement practice but does it have enough gain? I'm not sure.

So, GG&A, which of these amps should I get (YCS50, F-30 or F-50) if any and are there any other viable options out there that I'm missing?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Bumpage.

I really like what I'm hearing from the F-50 and F-30 on Youtube. Really leaning toward them. How do the 6L6's and EL84's differ in breakup point? How "British" is the F-30? If anyone who owns either amp can elaborate on this or give me any more info on these amps that'd be great.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
I don't think you could go wrong with an F-series or the Traynor -- they are all great amps. The Traynor has a great clean channel and a Marshall-ish overdrive channel, but you'll probably find your burning lead tone more easily on the F-series.

Yes, El-84s break up much sooner than 6L6s, so you'll need to consider whether clean headroom or early clipping is more important to you. El-84s will also sound more mid-rangey, so it will depend whether you want a mid-rangey brit tone vs a more scooped 6L6 sound.
try a kustom coupe as well as the ones you mentioned. i think it's around about $800.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?