Hey guys, I'm sure most of you know I run a Bugera 6260, love the sounds I get, but I still wanna tweak just a few things. I want to get just a little more low end out of it, a little more mid grind, but get more head room, especially on cleans. A few people on other forums (HC; etc) suggested that KT88s may be what I'm looking for. Now I know a fair amount about tubes, but I know very little on this elusive KT88, except that it is liked by Splawn, Ampeg bass amp users, and some Marshall guys (especially in Bluesbreakers). So, tell me GG&A, what should I know about these tubes? Worthy choice or are there others. I currently run the stock Sovtek 6L6's but I know that I might be able to get the sound I want with just a little tweaking. Preamp tubes are JJ 12AX7 in V1, and V3-5, with a 12DW7 in V2.

Thanks guys,
Jon
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
From what I hear, KT88s are basically an EL34 style tube with a ton of clean headroom. That's about all i know about them.
You are thinking of KT77's I beleive, which I am also considering, but I dont think they'll do what I want. KT88s are similar to the 6550
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
i thought bluesbreakers favoured KT66s
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
6550s? Like what Zakk Wylde uses? I think those again offer high headroom, and force you to rely more on preamp gain than power amp saturation.
First things first, have you consulted Roc in the Tube thread?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
few things you have to consider. Will they physically fit with the tube socket spacing, alot of amps can't accommodate them on size alone. If they will fit with the socket spacing, you want to make sure they are far enough apart from eachother, and the head gets plenty of ventilation, because they are a very hot running tube. If all that is fine, next you have to make sure the amp can supply the correct bias current for them, it's much higher than regular EL34 or 6L6. Most likely you will have to mod the sweep range so it can supply the current for them. Finally, you have to be sure the transformer can supply that kind of current safely. Most of the time makers won't spend the extra if they don't need to.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Hmm this is true....It has the space to accomodate them...but it's a combo, so it gets HOT. That pretty much eliminates them as being a possibility. Also, I'm pretty sure I can supply enough current, but you're right the trannies might not like it. This is why I asked you guys. The HC guys didnt seem to have any answers.

Ok, back to square one.

I still need to figure out whether staying with the 6L6's is worth it, or trying something new. I've only heard these things with 6L6's. As I said before, I am considering KT77's as well, but for different reasons. Any thoughts?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Hmm this is true....It has the space to accomodate them...but it's a combo, so it gets HOT. That pretty much eliminates them as being a possibility. Also, I'm pretty sure I can supply enough current, but you're right the trannies might not like it. This is why I asked you guys. The HC guys didnt seem to have any answers.

Ok, back to square one.

I still need to figure out whether staying with the 6L6's is worth it, or trying something new. I've only heard these things with 6L6's. As I said before, I am considering KT77's as well, but for different reasons. Any thoughts?

hey man have you considered the E34Ls( not the EL34s)?
kinda hs the sound of a EL34 but has more low end response and gets a bit more punchier and more bite to it. a friend of mine put these in his Carvin MTS head and his other guitar player put these in his Mesa Triple Rec and they sound Superb!!
i know Euro tubes has them in stock. might consider those as well

im kinda looking at them to
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
I would check out some JJ 6l6's and maybe some high gain 12AX7's in the pre?

A change up in just the make of power tubes might just make the difference you want.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Yeah, I'd say just changing the powertubes from those crap Sovtek ones will improve the sound quite a bit. I've always liked JJs, but honestly ever since I put some SED =C= 6L6s in my Mesa, I've been sold. If you decide to go the EL-34 way, I'd REALLY suggest some Ruby EL-34 BSTRs in there, those things sound amazing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I would check out some JJ 6l6's and maybe some high gain 12AX7's in the pre?

A change up in just the make of power tubes might just make the difference you want.

those to, thats what i have in my 6262 and 5150 II and Mesa
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Seeing as KT88s pull a shade under double the heater current of a 6L6, I doubt the PT would handle it.... Plus they're HUGE. If the 6L6s are close at all, the KT88s won't fit.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah, this is what I've started hearing. Like I said, HC was zero help. I have already changed the preamp tubes, I don't particularly use a ton of gain in my sound, I'm usually around 3 on the preamp gain. I keep hearing the Winged C's are killer 6L6s.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'd go for the Winged C 6L6s then. I should've thought you'd lose a tad of headroom and also bottom end with the EL34s.
Quote by Bloodshed
Like I said, HC was zero help.

I agree!

I just posted a thread over there asking about 4 specific amps and which one is the best for me and they threw out like 5 other amps completely out of left field that I didn't even ask about.

GAH!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Go figure. HCAF by chance?

I thought you'd lose headroom with EL34's as well
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
from a very reliable source who knows his ****

"=C= are the old Svetlana tubes which are now sovteks. The =C=’s are ok and in my opinion are better than the sovteks. The =C= 6L6’s are pretty good but lack focus and definition in the low end and can get brittle in the highs with single coils. The best tube =C= makes is their EL34, its very close to the standard JJ EL34 but then again we don’t sell many standard JJ EL34’s because the JJ E34L kicks ass on all EL34’s"
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by AndyRevenge
from a very reliable source who knows his ****

"=C= are the old Svetlana tubes which are now sovteks. The =C=’s are ok and in my opinion are better than the sovteks. The =C= 6L6’s are pretty good but lack focus and definition in the low end and can get brittle in the highs with single coils. The best tube =C= makes is their EL34, its very close to the standard JJ EL34 but then again we don’t sell many standard JJ EL34’s because the JJ E34L kicks ass on all EL34’s"
I wish people sould stop spouting crap, Svetlana =C= valves ARE NOT SOVTEKS.

Marketing ploys. The comment "the JJ E34L kicks ass on all EL34’s," makes that all redundant IMO.

Bob does that alot.
They aren't Sovteks, but Svetlana is also owned by New Sensor. While it is a different design it is built in the same factory. It's kinda like calling a new Mini a BMW. It isnt, but it is built in BMW factories
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by MrCarrot
I wish people sould stop spouting crap, Svetlana =C= valves ARE NOT SOVTEKS.

Marketing ploys. The comment "the JJ E34L kicks ass on all EL34’s," makes that all redundant IMO.

Bob does that alot.

i know Bob does that alot. alot of tube companies will say that "the other guys tubes" are Sovteks...i know that

well from what i heard about the Winged C 6L6 tubes. this local guy in a band called No Fuego had them in his Triple Rec and didn't sound to great at all. and switched over to the Winged C EL34s and made a big difference
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate