I was thinking about buying a cheap-semi cheap used squier and rebuild/deck it out as a secondary guitar (meaning rip out all the electronics, new pickups, some new hardware, possibly new neck, etc.). can anyone tell me what squiers to completely avoid. i know the bullets are bottom of the line and my friend tells me ones from the 80s made in Indonesia are really good quality (i will be buying this off ebay).

models, years made, and made in ___ would be appreciated. thanks all.

and if anyone could point me to a squier/fender serial number identifier, that would be great too.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
why not just buy a MIM strat for the same price
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
if you like teles. check out squier affinities. an alder body makes for a good base.

and at $169 new, it's a good deal.

this is what i did wt mine...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by enemy120
why not just buy a MIM strat for the same price

if i do it right and look for deals, i could get a decent strat for half the price of that. as i said, im just looking for a simple single coil guitar to mess around with. and then id be missing out on the fun of rebuilding one .

i do like teles as well. so affinity is a decent series? would the neck/hardware need replacing?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
I was thinking about buying a cheap-semi cheap used squier and rebuild/deck it out as a secondary guitar (meaning rip out all the electronics, new pickups, some new hardware, possibly new neck, etc.). can anyone tell me what squiers to completely avoid. i know the bullets are bottom of the line and my friend tells me ones from the 80s made in Indonesia are really good quality (i will be buying this off ebay).

and if anyone could point me to a squier/fender serial number identifier, that would be great too.

Avoid everything with the "Squier " name on it. They are complete s h i t factories. Even if you replace all the hardware and electronics you are still left with ****ty wood and poor fret jobs.
Actually, older squiers are far superior to the ones being put out today. And if you actually read his post, he's looking at one from the 80s, not now.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Avoid everything with the "Squier " name on it. They are complete s h i t factories. Even if you replace all the hardware and electronics you are still left with ****ty wood and poor fret jobs.

most new ones...yes. hence y im asking for advice...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by Pizza The Hut

yeah ok. in a lot of cases alder wood is alder wood. the grading has to do more with appearance than anything else.
if you want to say all squires are crap then go ahead.
but there's an excellent chance that you don't know how to pick a good guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Honestly, if your going to mod it to the nth degree I would go with the standard series. I've played a bunch and most have been of decent to good build quality. Certainly an excellent modding platform. But, if you could find an SX SST57 used (new they're only around $100 USD) you would have an absolutely incredible modding platform for next to nothing.
Quote by FrugalGuitarist
Honestly, if your going to mod it to the nth degree I would go with the standard series. I've played a bunch and most have been of decent to good build quality. Certainly an excellent modding platform. But, if you could find an SX SST57 used (new they're only around $100 USD) you would have an absolutely incredible modding platform for next to nothing.

is there anyway to tell by the sn or whatever what model it is? cause most of them arent really labeled, and chances are im going to go used.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
is there anyway to tell by the sn or whatever what model it is? cause most of them arent really labeled, and chances are im going to go used.

I think the standard series is labeled as such, but not 100% sure. A giveaway is the oversized headstock and dual point (rather than 6-screw) trem.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

In the 80's, Squier was being produced in Japan. Currently, Squiers are being made in India, China and Indonesia. If you're looking for a decent guitar from the 80's, look for the E-series. Good luck finding a JV (Japanese Vintage) Squier for a decent price.

If you're looking for a decent base, look for Standard and Vintage Modified series Squiers within your price range. Affinities may look appealing, but they're built with a thinner slab of wood not up to Fender spec of thickness. Also, avoid the Korean Squier II's, as they were built with plywood.

Rarities that may turn up for cheap include the Pro-Tones and Vista series Squiers, which are all very comparable to high end Mexican Fender in terms of production and quality control.
Quote by Anonymous Guy
In the 80's, Squier was being produced in Japan. Currently, Squiers are being made in India, China and Indonesia. If you're looking for a decent guitar from the 80's, look for the E-series. Good luck finding a JV (Japanese Vintage) Squier for a decent price.

If you're looking for a decent base, look for Standard and Vintage Modified series Squiers within your price range. Affinities may look appealing, but they're built with a thinner slab of wood not up to Fender spec of thickness. Also, avoid the Korean Squier II's, as they were built with plywood.

Rarities that may turn up for cheap include the Pro-Tones and Vista series Squiers, which are all very comparable to high end Mexican Fender in terms of production and quality control.

I just bought a Japanese Squier strat (E series) and they sound great!!! Does anyone know where i might find another pickguard for it? It has eight holes and being so rare i thought they would be hard to find,