Hello,

Recently i read a bit about chords and scales. I found out a C major chord is made of
C E G notes. When I open my beginners chord book it makes a C major chord of C E C. I don't understand this.
I know it's a C E G. But everywhere I look they play it as a C E C: B string first fret, D string second fret and A string 3rd fret while I would assume it would be B string first fret, D string second fret and E string 3rd fret.
I don't understand your explanation. I made the C major scale C D E F G A B C. I took the first, third and 5th note and I find C E G which is a major triad because it's the first i took of that scale. I don't understand what the A C E has to do with it.
I am not an expert but I think your G is coming from your open G string so you have your C (5th string) E (4th string) open G (3rd string) C (2nd string) open e (1st string) so you see you have C E G but you are only fretting C E C
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Quote by Chiller2
I am not an expert but I think your G is coming from your open G string so you have your C (5th string) E (4th string) open G (3rd string) C (2nd string) open e (1st string) so you see you have C E G but you are only fretting C E C

This person speaks the truth. If you're playing a open C major you have to play the G string as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok... i get that C E G thing but i dont understand the part about the second and first string
You strum five strings for an C chord from the 5th string to the first string you can have more than one of the notes that make up the cord the C has two C 's and two E's along with the G
It might help you understand better if you were to find a lesson on chord structure.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
The notes can be in any order and any amount of each note. The order of notes in a chord can go C G C G E, but it's still a C major chord.

ok... i get that C E G thing but i dont understand the part about the second and first string
The Am thing? Ignore it for now.

I suggest reading the theory link in my sig.
So all combinations of C E and G are C major chords? Btw i already read that theory.
Quote by V FTW V
So all combinations of C E and G are C major chords? Btw i already read that theory.

As long as it's only those notes, yes, if you add any other notes in it complicates things obviously.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by V FTW V
So all combinations of C E and G are C major chords?
As long as it's only C, E, and G, yes.

Quote by V FTW V
Btw i already read that theory.
Then you need to read it again and go over any questions with someone.
But if all combinations with C E G are C major chords, then there are a lot of different chords who all are C major?
Quote by V FTW V
But if all combinations with C E G are C major chords, then there are a lot of different chords who all are C major?

Yes, there are...the same goes for any other chord. Or rather, there are lots of different chord SHAPES that are all C major.

A chord is defined by the notes it contains, not the shape it forms on the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 29, 2008,
so they sound the same, these different fretboard forms?

Btw offtopic question: where can I find some decent info about tunings (like open C, etc...) cause I don't really understand what they are
I tried some forms and I noticed if you play a chord with 3rd fret of the 5th string (so the second bass string) it sounds the same as playing the 7th fret of the 5th string together with the 8th fret of the 6th string. Can someone explain me why?
Because the 3rd fret on the A string and the 8th fret on the low E are exactly the same note....namely C.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You need to study your fretboard son.

A C major triad is C E and G. They're all over the fretboard and there are 5 chord shapes that cover the whole fretboard for any major chords.

Also the notes of C major can be in any order (fingered as possible) - C E G / E G C / G C E. That there is a root, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion.
Quote by PanHead
You need to study your fretboard son.

A C major triad is C E and G. They're all over the fretboard and there are 5 chord shapes that cover the whole fretboard for any major chords.

Also the notes of C major can be in any order (fingered as possible) - C E G / E G C / G C E. That there is a root, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion.

+1, cause knowing your fretboard is essential.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Line up all of your notes so that there is a 3rd between each and the bottom note is the root.

I.e. the notes F#, A, D, and C#.
If we arrange these in ascending order we get D, F#, A, C#, making this a D7 chord with D as the root note.
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.
Ok i get what dawson monkey says. But about those 5 chord shapes: when I look at the fretboard I see you can make in theory 8 C major chords (2 C notes on every string and you can only use G-D-A-E strings because else you can't make a triad). So where comes that 5 from?
The five chord shapes are C A G E and D. There are two roots in the C and A shapes known as root 5 chords. G and E shapes have 3 roots and known as root 6 chords. D shape also have 2 roots and is a root 4 chord.

EDIT: Look up the CAGED system and it'll show you the layout on the fretboard.
Last edited by PanHead at Jul 30, 2008,