So I'm trying to find resources to help with shredding. Right now I can play moderately fast, but I really don't know many scales outside of the pentatonics, which, honestly, don't sound very good on progressive metal. Also I need more help on finger/pick coordination, because I can often play one string of notes fast and not miss a beat, then after a couple seconds my hands and fingers will get out of sync, thus ruining it. Are these things covered in Petrucci's video Rock Discipline?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Yeah, but I don't think lessons are the way to go. Just find songs you can handle and just progress on the difficulty of song choice, that way it's fun and you learn what you need to.
Honestly, most "L2Shred DVDs" don't teach you a damn thing other than tons of exercises to practice, which can easily be learned through tabs and online videos/lessons. Quite frankly the only way Rock Discipline has affected me is that I now use the arm/hand stretches and massages that he outlined. But other than that, my suggestion is to simply use online resources.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Honestly, most "L2Shred DVDs" don't teach you a damn thing other than tons of exercises to practice, which can easily be learned through tabs and online videos/lessons. Quite frankly the only way Rock Discipline has affected me is that I now use the arm/hand stretches and massages that he outlined. But other than that, my suggestion is to simply use online resources.

Yeah those stretches can come in handy. You can even see that for free on youtube, so it's really a waste of time to buy the Dvd.
Really, all you need are a metronome, some basic theory, and lots and lots of time to practice. But I do recomend the arm stretches. I was actually doing those well before I saw that video.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Thanks guys, I guess I'll skip it then.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
You could look it up on Google Video and give it a try for free.
Call me Batman.
Resources = my lessons + the ultimate guitar pro exercises thread.

my free teaching + vast amounts of free exercises = L2shrd 4 3!

Good guitar instructionals include

Melodic Control by Marty Freidman
Melodic Phrasing by Scott Henderson

Guitar9 has billions of guitar lessons as well. The internets is dying in all the guitaring lessons.
Personally I think it is not such a bad idea just to watch the videos (at least part of it) and get some ideas of good exercises. You could also make up your own exercises, but if you aren't creative... yeah. I watched it and got the guitar pro tab for Rock Discipline, I just used some of the exercises. Yeah stuff.