Has anyone heard of Red Bear amps? A shop here has a killer price on one of their heads. He says it is a nice amp, but no one is really interested in them due to their off-brand status, like Sovtek amps. What kind of gain can I look for? It's been there forever, and I'm positive I could probably walk away with it for about $200. I think it's the MK60. Offhand, they look like Marshall JCM800 copies with the Russian equivalent to 5881 power tubes. I can rent it, as I can't try it at the shop, but I don't want to sink $50 into something I may not dig.

As for their origin, I read some guy named Sergei Novikov designed them, but that doesn't mean much to me tbh. I also read it was a collaboration with Gibson USA, but the amps were built in Russia. So does anyone know a lot about these? Thanks.
have you tried google?
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Check out the reviews on Harmony Central, they seem pretty positive.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by weetadsftw
have you tried google?

I did, and got my base info from a site on them. However, I'm having a hard time finding reviews with any description of the sound of these things. The best I've heard is "unique". Unique tends to mean "love it or hate it" for me, which is why I'm concerned.
Honestly, I'd be happy to walk away with almost any tube amp for $200 I'd just spend the 50 bones and rent it....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Dammit, it's on hold. He said if the person doesn't pay though in a few days, it's mine.
Someone on HC is selling one on ebay with 28 extra tubes, only up to $333 atm.

Here's a clip of it without a boost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xifflNNcMvY

There's some clips on Net Musicians as well, best sound I've ever heard with an MT-2 as a boost.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i got a red bear mk 60 yesterday. i feel like telling the story because im wicked excited about it

The head was in ok condition, it will definitely need some work. There was no red bear logo, but I will probably just get a sweet looking grill for the front to make up for it.

As of right now, the preamp stage in this amp is not exactly what I'm looking for. Right now it is running 6H2Ns? They look veryy old, as do the powertubes which im pretty sure are the russian 5881s. My friend, who knows more than me, thinks that the preamp tubes are crap, and i can agree. There is not a lot of preamp gain at all. But there is a **** ton of headroom, which is what i think the tubes were designed for. We will definitely be doing the 12ax7 mod, but i was wondering if these tubes are replacements for the 6N2Ps? Or were the pins already changed?

Also the input capacitors will apparently need to be replaced which will be the most expensive. Although it is still definitely playable so I have some time to save money for that. There is plenty of volume but sometimes its cuts out and makes a sort of scratching noise. There is also a makeshift shield i guess it is that it between the on switch and something else (inside the amp), its just a piece of cardboard so I should probably look into replacing that.

Another weird thing, someone put a red "sparkly" sticker on the front of one of the transformers, probably to make up for lack of a logo. It was a horrible idea though because after taking off the sticker i have melted "sparkles" on the transformer.

but anyways, on to the sound.

This mk 60 was obviously used for clean stuff. The cleans are incredibllee and the head breaks up my vintage 30s cab perfectly. They are very shimmery, and you get an awesome indie rock tone by digging in/ giving it some more volume.

As far as the gain goes, it is lacking at the moment. Very grindy. But then again the preamp stage is probably the exact opposite of what i would want to have in there. I can definitely tell that there is awesome tone just waiting to come out of this amp. I cranked it for a bit in the store and although there was still quite a bit of grind (less than lower volumes), i could definitely hear sort of a "roar" in the tone. Kind of funny because i wasn't thinking about the whole bear thing and then i realized wow, this amp really does roar. I am very excited to see how it sounds with new preamp tubes, or even just my bad monkey in front of it, as someone in this thread had mentioned.

so far I am very happy with this amp and I can't wait until everything is in full working order. sorry for the long read.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
i had one and from the treads ive seen you in cjrocker i thinkit will fit your playing well. you willl need to crank it to get best sateration.
Holy threadbump. Let it die.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
what are you talking about? why would you want to let a thread about some of the most underrated amps to die?

Anyways i took it home and was able to crank it and it gets wayyyy more gain than in the store. The preamp section is really bassy, but i'll be doing the 12ax7 mod soon which will fix that.

this amp is incredibly versatile. I am a little biased i guess but it does "indie rock tones" awesome and "higher gain" awesome as well.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Because you're not supposed to bump old threads like this, and the man has certainly by now either bought or decided not to buy the amp. If you love Red Bears, make an official Red Bear thread.

Don't judge me.
Id rather not make a new thread...what is this nonsense about not bumping old threads...this forum is flooded which hundreds of the same thread.

Plus there doesn't seem to be too many people who own red bears on UG so an official thread would be pointless
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by Forum Rules
Bumping: Do not bump your threads. This means don't post in your own thread in order to bump it to the top of the forum list. Also, don't bump dead threads from a year ago.

Don't judge me.
Quote by pmeg568c
Id rather not make a new thread...what is this nonsense about not bumping old threads...this forum is flooded which hundreds of the same thread.

Plus there doesn't seem to be too many people who own red bears on UG so an official thread would be pointless

I dig red bears, but you should have just made your own thread, because posting in a 8 month old thread will automatically get the thread locked. You may not agree with it, but that's the way things work.

Congrats on the Redbear, though! I want one.
They are a lot like my laney AOR from what I hear So Hot rod JCM800 basically
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era