Poll: Do You Download Songs Legally Or Illegaly?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do You Download Songs Legally Or Illegaly?
I only download songs.
49 26%
I occasionly download, and occasionly buy.
105 56%
I only buy CD's.
35 19%
Voters: 189.
Page 1 of 2
I have just in the last year or so gotten into music. Maybe something like the first 3 albums I ever owned were downloaded off of iTunes, but when christmas came around, I was given several albums. Ever since, I have hated downloading things, because I like to have the cases, I like to read the books, and I find it terrible that programs like limewire rape hundreds of new artists, and stop them from making money off of album sales.

But apart from maybe two of my friends, I can't find anyone who agrees with me. I even know adults who've tried to persuade me into just downloading, though I can't think why. Is their anyone out their who shares my opinion?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by DaysoftheBlue
If i really like a band or they're not very big yet i buy their stuff.

+1
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by DaysoftheBlue

Yep.

Otherwise i usually download albums like crazy
Ah, well a typical really doesn't make much of its money from record sales anyway, it's concerts.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Buying CDs is best, as you have a physical copy for backup, you can play them in a CD player which have BETTER SOUND QUALITY then an mp3 file, you get artwork, sometimes lyrics, etc., all in a small package. You can also work out what equipment a band uses from reading the "x band use:" bit.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I agree with the TS. I would buy the actual CDs as a first choice if I had the resources. But the one and only cd store in my town (which is enclosed in a grocery store) has no good music. And my parents won't let me have an iTunes account. So I am forced to torrent my music. And I hate it.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jul 22, 2008,
Most of the CD's I buy only have the credits to people inside of the liners and nothing interesting

I both buy and download a lot of music though.
i like to buy the cd's mainly cus i like a lot of myspace bands that are unknown and u cant download there stuff unless they let you lolz.

Plus i like havin a good cd collection and copies **** up easy.
No one here, gets out alive
I strongly support the bands and buy CDs. If I like the band, I buy the cd. If it's a new band and I want to know how they sound, I'll download a cd of theirs, if I like it I'll buy it, if I don't I just delete it. I also download if I just want a single off of an album, I'm not going to buy the whole cd for one song.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Most musicians I listen to are dead...

The ones who aren't, I'll buy some.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Downloading an album is the best way of getting into a band. If you like it then you go out and buy their stuff, if you don't like it you haven't wasted any money.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Hereiwas
I find it terrible that programs like limewire rape hundreds of new artists, and stop them from making money off of album sales.

Bawww. Thing here is, that limewire and torrent clients allow music to reach an ENORMOUS audience. That audience may not pay to get your mp3s, but if you make fans through it, they'll certainly come to your shows.

So stop making it sound like these bands are getting it up the ass, they're totally not. The only bands complaining are bigger bands, who already have the money (See: Metallica's Lars Ulrich). Surely it should be the other way around, right? But it's not, because of the fanbase thing.

I don't care who has a copy of my band's music, if they like it, and come to see our shows, honestly, I wouldn't be bothered; quite the opposite. I'd be pleased.
Unless the download is off Myspace or Soundclick (where the artists give permission), then no, I never download. I buy the CDs if possible... it costs me a fair bit, but it's worth it.
never really cared about the physical cases etc...musics not about the money IMO, if i was the artist id be absoloutley over the moon people were taking the time to download and listen to my songs anyway.

I wish people would get off there moral highhorse with "DOWNLOADING IS BAD, YOU SHOULD BUY THE ALBUM" i mean come on, they make more than enough money at gigs...since the people downloading the songs that acctually like them, go to the gigs?
I used to download, but if I followed a band, I would buy their CD. The problem was, I had no money to buy all the music I wanted. Though I don't download anymore, I don't yell at people who do.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
Quote by Hereiwas
I have just in the last year or so gotten into music. Maybe something like the first 3 albums I ever owned were downloaded off of iTunes, but when christmas came around, I was given several albums. Ever since, I have hated downloading things, because I like to have the cases, I like to read the books, and I find it terrible that programs like limewire rape hundreds of new artists, and stop them from making money off of album sales.
But apart from maybe two of my friends, I can't find anyone who agrees with me. I even know adults who've tried to persuade me into just downloading, though I can't think why. Is their anyone out their who shares my opinion?

Nothing personal to you but that is the single worst argument against downloading in that the majority of new artisits make so little from album sales it really doesn't matter.

Personally I'll download some albums and buy others, I've never been swayed by having the cd case etc etc, when I buy an album I buy it for the music.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by DaysoftheBlue

This.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I don't have an mp3 player, so I buy the albums.
It's more fun to have the art anyway.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I have a problem where if I pirate songs I won't listen to them. Even though I have an mp3 player and use it profusely, I still listen to the songs I bought far more often. Also I rarely burn CDs, so I don't listen to pirated songs in the car.

I'm going to try buying an album through direct download and see what results I get.
You know who make money from album sales? The record company thats who.They make you pay the same price for a download as a CD but don't have 90% of the overhead a CD take.A download should not cost more than $.10- $.20 American.
But I really think the Artist need to wake up and realize it is a new market. In the old days the Music was the product the Artist would make a record and then tour (making little money doing so) to market the Album now it needs to be turned around the Artist should be the product and the music used to market him and the tour.Give the music away to promote the shows.
It just stuns me that Metallica the band that built the fan base that got them noticed and signed through bootleg recordings of their shows (that they allowed and thought were great) did not seem to grasp this simple fact.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
I prefer too keep a hard copy of the artists I like. It's good for the artwork, maybe value (for the future), Usually the quality is better, or there are songs that sound different to what you've downloaded.

I find Cd's more practical, imagine if your computer wiped, you'd be gutted then.

So i Download one or two songs and then buy the album If it's good, that's how I got into bands like Pantera, Nirvana, Metallica e.t.c
Quote by tommyt
the majority of new artisits make so little from album sales it really doesn't matter.

Some might say it matters more because they aren't making a lot of money to begin with, so taking it away from them has more of an impact. Me, for example.
I never download music. I always buy CD's.

an exception to this is when I need some obscure, oldish band's music and I will usually get it from another UGer. I still will not download it.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I normally hate downloading, but I have had insufficient funds to purchase CDs, so that's my current way to get my music.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

I do both but keep this in mind when you buy digital stuff. 90% of the song is compressed, I always wondered why everything sounded so flat, and just weak on my Ipod. This why, ITS COMPRESSED DOWN! you only get 10% of the mix. Cds are deff better quality, but I still buy both. Vynal is the best sound quality period. But more expensive most of the time.
If i like at least 75% of it then i'll buy it...I feel no remorse for not paying for a ****ty album.
Last edited by RunawayKaren at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by self-made_page
Some might say it matters more because they aren't making a lot of money to begin with, so taking it away from them has more of an impact. Me, for example.

at the start stage of a career that money would be so insignificant it's incredible, yes i can see why bands the like of metallica could get angry over it, they sell enough albums to actually make it enough money for the whole napster thing to be worth it, but really if i want to support an artist I'll go to their shows, or buy some of their merch ... at least that way I know they're getting the money and it's not just being given to their label because they were to quick to sign a contract.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Buying albums funds corporate terrorism.
If you want to support a band, buy their offical merch, that's it.

EDIT: Although sometimes I do like to physically own some albums, like my NIN collection, which is ironic.

(that video probably needs to be posted again guys, I can't be bothered finding it)
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I listen mostly to older music, so I find it retarded to pay around $15 for a CD when I want only one song. But I occasionally buy a CD if I really like the band. What I usually do is donwload a few songs from a band, and if I really like them, I'll get their greatest hits or whatnot. But for the most part I download.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
I can't usually find most of the albums I want in stores, and when I do they are generally overpriced so I can only buy albums occasionally. But I do like having the actual CD rather than a downloaded mp3.
I think a lot of bands should be damn grateful that i and other people download thier music for free. If it wasn't for free downloading there would be many bands that i listen to a lot now that i would never have done without downloading thier music without paying. I since went on to buy some of thier better albums thier albums and go to thier live shows when they come to my town.

Im not exactly gonna go to a record store and buy a load of random albums with my hard earned money and hope that i like some of the bands. On the same note im also not gonna rely on the opinions of other people to tell me if a band or an album is good or not because i know from expierience that when it comes to music my opinion differs a lot from other peoples in many cases. How else am i meant to get into new bands?

Even if i didnt buy the albums and go to the shows of the bands whose music i illigally downloaded ask yourself: If the facillities for illigal downloading didn't exist would i have gone out to buy all those albums that i have illigally downloaded? Not all of them no. Why would i buy all of the albums of a band ive never heard of?

Overall my point is i think the loss that the music industry is making from illigal downloads is incredably overexaggerated.
My Gear:

Jackson RR5
Marshall TSL601 Limited Edition Racing Green
ITT - Moral high ground.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
I do both , but as of late I've been buying a lot of CD's.

Arch Enemy - Rise Of The Tyrant
Opeth - Watershed
COB - Blooddrunk
BFMV - Scream Aim Fire
Atreyu - Lead Sails Paper Anchor
Trivium - The Crusade

I only buy CDs. I never download.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Page 1 of 2