Poll: What do you think of the design overall? (practicality, comfortability, etc)
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think of the design overall? (practicality, comfortability, etc)
1 - Not that great.
14 23%
4 7%
4 7%
2 3%
5 - It is okay.
4 7%
3 5%
11 18%
5 8%
2 3%
10 - Make this guitar already!
11 18%
Voters: 60.
An old friend of mine and I just got together and decided that we will design and make custom guitars. Keep in mind that we are 16-17-ish and still in high school, but my friend's skills of carpentry are excellent and I have been drawing lots of blueprints and characters since I was 4 (I'm an artist, in other words).

Well, my first inspiration was a panda eating bamboo. If you click on the link below, you'll see a guitar layout of this theme guitar with 5 possible headstocks for it (I picked the headstocks because they seemed to fit the bamboo theme).

http://i37.tinypic.com/jqhtfc.jpg

Okay, so here's what I want you guys of UG.com to do:
Since this is my first time designing a guitar, I do NOT want you to sugarcoat this, please be as critical as you can, so I can better myself.
Also, talk about the possibility of this design being do-able or practical, maybe some changes to make, etc.

I really want to hear from you!
I've never built a guitar, but that looks really hard. :P

If you do pull this off though, I think the PRS headstock would look the best.
Stick with this idea and go with it, you have the basic concept!
PRS looks the best, I agree.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
It's a really great idea, but it is in no way practical. The neck is lumpy...

For show, this would be a good design if it turned out really well. But for playing, no.

The best headstock would probably be first one.

If you want it to look really really nice, you could give the panda some definition.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Wow, that's a nice design for a custom guitar! Grats if you pull it off!

Also, I think its fairly doable but it might get somewhat hard.

Other than that, go with the PRS headstock, the rest wouldn't fit the whole bamboo/panda theme.
make your own headstock. something like the prs though. try some palm tree :P
don't know about the playability of the headstock neither.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by 66something
also looks like a bit much space from fret 24 to the pickups.

I agree.
looks like the neck might be a bit too long/out of proportion and something about the pickups doesn't look right(maybe space them out a bit more), but could just be the scale

hope you pull it off though =]
Fender Telecaster (MIM) <- the sentimental one

Fender USA strat

4 standing Oasis tickets, Cardiff 12th June - selling at face value go!
Impossible I Say
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Quote by Fryer Mike
It's a really great idea, but it is in no way practical. The neck is lumpy...

For show, this would be a good design if it turned out really well. But for playing, no.

The best headstock would probably be first one.

If you want it to look really really nice, you could give the panda some definition.

Yes, maybe for show or display.
The concave-ness and grooves in the bamboo were exaggerated in the design too.
i love it, i think the prs headstock would look best
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
In that case T.VO,

Great job. Get on it! And good luck. This will be quite the project.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
well it is possible to make, but the neck should be smooth if you plan on playing it. last year at highschool in my wood shop class to guy's were making guitars, they weren't really complicated designs but they did have some problems with things. you really need to do your research on stuff, like how thick the body needs to be for your bridge and how thick your headstock needs to be for the tuners to fit properly. the woodshop teacher builds guitars and sells them so he was able to help them alot but stuff happens and they didn't even finish them at school, it is a very long process to make a guitar.
I think its too much of a gimic to be taken seriously, but if thats what your after then go for it.

Plus it looks mega uncomfortable.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by The_Quiet_Man
well it is possible to make, but the neck should be smooth if you plan on playing it. last year at highschool in my wood shop class to guy's were making guitars, they weren't really complicated designs but they did have some problems with things. you really need to do your research on stuff, like how thick the body needs to be for your bridge and how thick your headstock needs to be for the tuners to fit properly. the woodshop teacher builds guitars and sells them so he was able to help them alot but stuff happens and they didn't even finish them at school, it is a very long process to make a guitar.

Thank you.
The blueprint isn't really a blueprint yet, just a basic idea of what the guitar would look like, and there are no measurements yet. But when it comes time to make this sucker, we will do everything it takes to make this guitar comfortable and playable.
definatly smooth the neck out, but other then that it is mucho sexy, and you should make it right away.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
This guitar will most likely be for show or display, but keep in mind that the image only shows the basic image of the guitar and has no measurements because my friend and I have not worked that out yet.

And the bamboo shape is highly exaggerated, bamboo is actually straight and smooth. I would know, 'cause I'm Asian.
Honestly its a great desing and very original!

I know you say that its mainly just for display but if you smoothed the neck out (I realize you said its exaggerated in the desing) and place the fretboard a bit closer to the pickups, you will have a guitar that you can show off on stage and would look great just sitting on a stand or in a display case.

I mean not every guitar has to be playable but it would just make that guitar so much more awesome if you could pull it out at a gig and play a song or two on it
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Honestly its a great desing and very original!

I know you say that its mainly just for display but if you smoothed the neck out (I realize you said its exaggerated in the desing) and place the fretboard a bit closer to the pickups, you will have a guitar that you can show off on stage and would look great just sitting on a stand or in a display case.

I mean not every guitar has to be playable but it would just make that guitar so much more awesome if you could pull it out at a gig and play a song or two on it

Thank you, I will try to ratify the design a bit and try to get it "playable."
keep the sides of the neck smooth, because if you do it the way you have it, you'll never be able to bend very well and it could be a bitch to play. keep the neck smooth, but scallop all the frets. that will give it that wavey look too without sacrificing playability.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
i gave it a two because despite being very impractical. it has potential if you fix a few design flaws i think you could really pull it off
Quote by T.VO
This guitar will most likely be for show or display, but keep in mind that the image only shows the basic image of the guitar and has no measurements because my friend and I have not worked that out yet.

And the bamboo shape is highly exaggerated, bamboo is actually straight and smooth. I would know, 'cause I'm Asian.

even if your an amazing carpenter i would start out with a more conventional design, just make them have ridiculously good quality.

like directly fasten the pickups to the body
flawless finishes, and super tight neck joints

and then once your name gets out there start on some crazy stuff
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
The Bridge will have to be much, much closer to the neck for proper intonation and such.

Edit: To give you an idea, the general rule of thumb is that the distance between the bridge and 12th fret should be the same as the distance between the nut and the 12th fret.
... 'cause when I think "custom guitar," the first thing that comes to mind is "panda bear."
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
do it, it would be beast. who wouldn't want a panda guitar.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by Zofar
The Bridge will have to be much, much closer to the neck for proper intonation and such.

Edit: To give you an idea, the general rule of thumb is that the distance between the bridge and 12th fret should be the same as the distance between the nut and the 12th fret.

That's really not so much a rule of thumb as it is a law of physics
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by metalhead_c-1
do it, it would be beast. who wouldn't want a panda guitar.

me
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by wiliscool
... 'cause when I think "custom guitar," the first thing that comes to mind is "panda bear."

Hahaha.
definately the rev. eclipse headstock, paint green and inlay the outline
very cool, cant wait to see it completed
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
i feel like the pups are too far away from the neck, maybe if the whole thingf was shorter it would be good