Okay, here's the skinny(any of you kids still use that term?):
I have just got approx $1200 for my birthday. I can spend this on whatever I wish once I leave for college in Canada.
Heres the current gear I'll be taking there:
Kramer 7 string
Digitech Rp350
Fender Frontman 15G

Now I want to spend some or most of the money on some new gear.
I was planning on upgrading the rp350 to a new Boss GT-10.
Now I need a cheap decent sounding amp to accompany that as pure amplification.

My requirements:
1)Has to be decent for both band practice and bedroom practice
2)Doesn't have to have any frills or have to be a tube amp. Tone will all be modeled till I pony up some cash for better gear.
3)Has to be cheap but decent sounding. Can have just one channel. I'll be using it mainly as a frontend to the GT10

Thats about it really. I was thinking maybe something around 30W or so should do?

Any advice men?

edit: oh i'll be playing tuned down to a G# so preferably something that can handle a reasonable amount of gain and low end...

EDit 2: The other option is justa speaker front end instead of a full fledged amp. any recomendations on that end?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jul 22, 2008,
You might want to try a Blues Junior. I use it exactly how you want to use the GT-10, and it works perfectly. The cleans are great. And it's loud enough for band practice, and quiet enough for bedroom practice.

EDIT: It's one channel, and no frills as you stated. It's just got the EQ, reverb, and two volume controls, along with a "Fat Switch" which is pretty much just a boost. Seeing as you'll just be using it as a front end for your GT-10 you probably won't need the reverb, or the fat switch. It's a really good amp to consider.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
The blues junior soudnds interesting...but at that price wouldn't going for a valveking make a bit of sense? except its 50W...so that might be pretty loud...
the traynor is quite a bit too expensive...
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Well, I was just suggesting the Blues Junior because it's pretty cheap. And if you go used like me, it's cheaper. Even more so if the reverb is broken. Which was totally okay with me because I had the Boss ME-50 for my tonal needs. I think that would be one of the best amps to get in your situation. And you'll have some money left over, wheras a ValveKing is probably too loud and expensive if you're probably going to use the GT-10 to get your tone.
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by DagMX

edit: oh i'll be playing tuned down to a G# so preferably something that can handle a reasonable amount of gain and low end...

It sounds like you want a metal amp, not a blues junior rofl.

Bugera 333XL? I'm not sure if the currency is in Canadian dollars or American dollars.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
It sounds like you want a metal amp, not a blues junior rofl.

Bugera 333XL? I'm not sure if the currency is in Canadian dollars or American dollars.

well, i want something with good cleans. the OD/distortion will be fronted from the gt-10...so I wanted something with pristine cleans...

oh and USD...but the bugera will be too expensive either way after the GT-10...and I dont want something for the metal tone anyway...just an amp that can handle what its being fed

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by E V H 5150
Well, I was just suggesting the Blues Junior because it's pretty cheap. And if you go used like me, it's cheaper. Even more so if the reverb is broken. Which was totally okay with me because I had the Boss ME-50 for my tonal needs. I think that would be one of the best amps to get in your situation. And you'll have some money left over, wheras a ValveKing is probably too loud and expensive if you're probably going to use the GT-10 to get your tone.

yup, i think you're right....

how loud can the blues junior get? enough for a band practice? live I'll probably plug in direct from the gt-10 to a PA, but for band practice I'll need something audible over the drums

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yeah, it should be able to handle drummer volumes and stuff like that. It can get pretty freaking loud. I'm sure it would be good for you...
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150
Yeah, it should be able to handle drummer volumes and stuff like that. It can get pretty freaking loud. I'm sure it would be good for you...

thanks..ill check it out once im in the land of the maple trees..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350