Well sometime soon I might be getting an almost new epiphone les paul studio that my local store has for sale at 325$ that plays wonderfully.

However, the pickups are pretty lame, not alot of flavour to them. I use a fender '59 Bassman (an '07 i think), SansAmp, and Bad horsie wah. I'm looking for a nice warm tone for the neck, very red hot chili peppers and the like, that can also get that kinda G'n'R slash style lead. The bridge pickup i want to be a little more abrasive, as I play alot of metal and punk (germs, minor threat, dead kennedys, etc) aswell. A good bit of output would be nice aswell.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
seymour duncan jb/jazz set should be good for something like that.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
^
not in a million years

Duncan Custom 5 bridge, Pearly Gates or 59 in the neck - you just described that setup exactly. The only decision is the neck, Pearly Gates will be a touch brighter and a little raunchier, 59 will be warmer and smoother.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
^
not in a million years

Duncan Custom 5 bridge, Pearly Gates or 59 in the neck - you just described that setup exactly. The only decision is the neck, Pearly Gates will be a touch brighter and a little raunchier, 59 will be warmer and smoother.

That leads me to lean t'words the '59 then, I have a big thing for that creamy, smooth, warm neck clean sound. I had one guitar with a custom 5 in the bridge, a 90's carvin, but i didn't like it. Then again, I didn't like much about that carvin, way to much of a shred guitar.

Quote by zekk
That leads me to lean t'words the '59 then, I have a big thing for that creamy, smooth, warm neck clean sound. I had one guitar with a custom 5 in the bridge, a 90's carvin, but i didn't like it. Then again, I didn't like much about that carvin, way to much of a shred guitar.

Hmmm - what kind of wood was the Carvin made of? If you want a harder edge you could always go with the straight Custom which has a ceramic magnet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Hmmm - what kind of wood was the Carvin made of? If you want a harder edge you could always go with the straight Custom which has a ceramic magnet.

I'm pretty sure the carvin was alder, and the body was thin as hell. It sounds even worse to me now after a year of playing my '77 Les paul deluxe. I really want a pretty versitile bridge pickup, as I do have alot of styles I play (from zepplin to hardcore punk to blues to tanz metal etc etc)

Quote by zekk
I'm pretty sure the carvin was alder, and the body was thin as hell. It sounds even worse to me now after a year of playing my '77 Les paul deluxe. I really want a pretty versitile bridge pickup, as I do have alot of styles I play (from zepplin to hardcore punk to blues to tanz metal etc etc)

I wouldn't have thought the Custom 5 would sound all that great in alder, it's much better suited to mahogany....it'll definitely work for what you want in the Les Paul.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I wouldn't have thought the Custom 5 would sound all that great in alder, it's much better suited to mahogany....it'll definitely work for what you want in the Les Paul.

Word, I might just steal the one out of the Carvin then. Only have to pay for one pickup instead of two.

Quote by zekk
Word, I might just steal the one out of the Carvin then. Only have to pay for one pickup instead of two.

That....is a very sensible idea

If you don't like it then evidently I was completely wrong, and its only cost you a bit of soldering time
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by zekk
Well sometime soon I might be getting an almost new epiphone les paul studio that my local store has for sale at 325$ that plays wonderfully.

However, the pickups are pretty lame, not alot of flavour to them. I use a fender '59 Bassman (an '07 i think), SansAmp, and Bad horsie wah. I'm looking for a nice warm tone for the neck, very red hot chili peppers and the like, that can also get that kinda G'n'R slash style lead. The bridge pickup i want to be a little more abrasive, as I play alot of metal and punk (germs, minor threat, dead kennedys, etc) aswell. A good bit of output would be nice aswell.

I was going to say SD Alnico II's, because they are absolutely spot-on for the bands you listed. However, once you got more into the metal and high output, maybe Alnico II's aren't the best way to go. Whoever, said SD JB/Jazz, I would go with that. That set is on my Schecter, and they sound awesome for all types of music, even metal. Can get some pretty good pinches out of the JB.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
I was going to say SD Alnico II's, because they are absolutely spot-on for the bands you listed. However, once you got more into the metal and high output, maybe Alnico II's aren't the best way to go.
really, Alnico II Pros aren't much good for anything. '59s, Jazz and Pearly Gates models are almost always better options. The only reason why Slash uses Alnico II Pros is because they're so low-output and he likes to get all of his overdrive from the amp, rather than from his guitar. The actual tone of Alnico II Pros is very average and flat anyway (again, you're then supposed to use the amp to compensate).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
really, Alnico II Pros aren't much good for anything. '59s, Jazz and Pearly Gates models are almost always better options. The only reason why Slash uses Alnico II Pros is because they're so low-output and he likes to get all of his overdrive from the amp, rather than from his guitar. The actual tone of Alnico II Pros is very average and flat anyway (again, you're then supposed to use the amp to compensate).

Once again, Mr. Flibble comes through with some spot on analysis.

With Slash's recent rise in popularity due to Guitar Hero, however, I expect that the Alnico II Pros are selling through the roof.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
If you're really serious about this, you should check out Bare Knuckle Pickups or some Swinesheads, you should be able to find the tone you want, and a distinctive one at that.
Quote by Flying Couch
You might look into PRS? The HFS can do anything.

Not really interested in PRS.

Quote by Orbit91
If you're really serious about this, you should check out Bare Knuckle Pickups or some Swinesheads, you should be able to find the tone you want, and a distinctive one at that.

I was considering those, any suggestions on make and model?

And that's a very small sampling on the bands I enjoy and have been influenced by (and plan on covering at some point or another). A more complete list would be:
AFI
At the Drive In
BB King
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
The Beatles
The Black Crows
Black Sabbath
Bob Marley
Children of Bodom
Crass
The Cure
Cypress hill
David Bowie
Dead Kennedys
Dimmu Borgir
Dinosaur Jr.
The Doors
Fall of Troy
Fintroll
Foo Fighters
the Germs
Guns'N'Roses
John Frusciante
Johnny Cash
Korpiklaani
KottonMouth kings
Led Zepplin
The Mars Volta
Minor Threat
The Misfits
Muse
Neil Young
The Nightwatchman
Nightwish
Nirvnana
A Perfect Circle
Pink floyd
The Pixies
Placebo
Pulp
The raconteurs
Rage Against the Machine
Rammstein
Red Hot chili peppers
Srv
Sublime
Tool
Tupac
The velvet Undergound
The White Stripes