Kirk Covington, Ed Schaunessey, Dennis Chambers & Nick Barker are all pretty big.

But, on the other side of the coin;

Virgil Donati, Mike Portnoy, Thomas Lang, Vinnie Colaiuta, Neil Peart, Mike Mangini...the list of "regular" and thin drummers goes on and on. For every 1 overweight drummer you name, about 20 normal weight ones can be named, so yeah, it does keep them fit.

It would also depend on the level of fitness of the person. There may be a very good reason why his heart rate is up that high from playing the drums. I agree the level of stamina is astounding to keep that going for 90 minutes but can't help but feel an ageing drummer of lame music (in terms of intensity) can make him comparable to a top athlete.

But, I bet you if you got a drummer to run with a pro footballer they'd get hammered.

It's simply the endurance in the muscles they use.

They used their forearms, biceps and triceps a hell of a lot practicing, they've become used to it so those particular muscles have developed an endurance.

Yes the heart rate bit helps the heart but I doubt it would be as high as playing a full football match.

"Performing night after night is like working out at the gym of musical fitness, worshipping at its temple and messing around in its laboratory, all at the same time" - Neil Peart.

As an example, Peart has over 30 things to hit with his sticks. And as a rock drummer you do have to hit your kit, you don't get the sound you want by tapping them.
And don't forget everything that is operated by a pedal. This is a bit more energetic than your clutch or brake in the car.

So your sense of timing has to be immaculate and you are getting a full body workout. Hands and feet are all in motion, so not only your arms and shoulders, but your calves, thighs, buttocks, and stomach are getting a work out.

Clearly, most footballers are going to be able to run faster or further than most drummers. It's a different type of fitness. Most footballers will run faster and further than most swimmers, but they ain't gonna swim faster than them.

Similarly trying to play a large drum kit will exhaust most sportsmen/women. Ultimately we are comparing apples and oranges, and I like both
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Yeah I heard about this on Steve Wright or something. I thought it was quite funny, and a little obvious. If your pounding away, of course your gonna build stamina and strength. The funniest thing is, the government are gonna set up a whole campaign or something to get kids into drumming now...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Retro Rocker
Athlete status still doesn't help them get laid though, does it?

nope, not at all
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
well i play drums and have done for over 3 years... im 14 by the way and i wouldnt say it makes you a top athlete... but it DOES make you sweat more than i would say, playing guitar
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Anyone know of any drummers that have drummed so hard that they were seconds away from being paralyzed? I know of one, any others?
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
Quote by Hereiwas
Yeah I heard about this on Steve Wright or something. I thought it was quite funny, and a little obvious. If your pounding away, of course your gonna build stamina and strength. The funniest thing is, the government are gonna set up a whole campaign or something to get kids into drumming now...

Good my town needs more drummers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g4ExR4QMaxc

This is the guy that almost paralyzed himself, hes also got a neck brace too. He used to go at this speed for like 2 hours. OK probably not his best or fastest piece of drumming but, hay i couldnt do it.
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
LOL

I've been a drummer for awhile and I've played hundreds of shows, many quite long, and I'm still flabby lol. This is a BIG stretch. I can only recall a few shows that made me actually exhausted. I remember one where halfway through I had to start consciously pacing myself because if I didn't I wouldn't be able to play the parts. But to compare it to a pro athlete? No. No way lol. That's pretty funny.

I also played one show - this one on guitar - when I was dreadfully sick. We always played with good stage presence and I did so that night, and wow I felt absolutely horrible. The next band had to ask me to get my stuff off the stage cause I was busy hunched over in a seat wishing I was dead.

But again, there's no way that it's that athletic.
We're only strays.
Quote by Sad But False
well i play drums and have done for over 3 years... im 14 by the way and i wouldnt say it makes you a top athlete... but it DOES make you sweat more than i would say, playing guitar

Just wait till you sweat so much it collects on the drums, and when you hit, its like hitting a drum when its raining.
Gene Hoglan proves this thread wrong.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Drumming requires serious stamina and when you get good, serious arm and leg strength.
My mate can only double bass in shorts and cant do it wearing even a t shirt. Its hot work. Much more physical exertion than shredding.
i remember watching some show on motley crue one day, because i was desperately bored, and tommy lee was talking about this. he put one of those step counters on his waist before he went on stage, and after the show it showed that he would have ran 13 miles or something crazy like that.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
^I understand why he can only double bass with shorts because the pant legs always get caught on the beaters, but cant do it with a shirt?? haha this is why I drum with a fan.
edit: to hammerzeit
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Quote by Sad But False

Depends how you play. A good entertainer knows there's more to playing guitar then just playing guitar.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Quote by Lin
Depends how you play. A good entertainer knows there's more to playing guitar then just playing guitar.

If you act like Keith Moon, you're gonna be more sweaty because you extort more energy and moving around alot more so yes there is alot more to playing guitar than just playing guitar.
...worse than sweat, has anybody split a knuckle whilst drumming without noticing and bled EVERYWHERE? The wallpaper, the snare drum, the cymbals?

It's pretty damn freaky.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Athlete status still doesn't help them get laid though, does it?

No.

We're always in the back so noone notices us.
This study is horrendously conducted.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TERU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g4ExR4QMaxc

This is the guy that almost paralyzed himself, hes also got a neck brace too. He used to go at this speed for like 2 hours. OK probably not his best or fastest piece of drumming but, hay i couldnt do it.

That was astounding, first time I ever had shivers down my spine from a drum part.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by Sad But False

Then you're doing it wrong.
I get one Hell of a work out when playing guitar, because I like to move around.
That said, drumming is probably better in terms of working out, though, I wouldn't know since I'm a dead aweful drummer.

Quote by Paquijón
People pick up the guitar because they're too lazy to play the drums. /guitarist.

Quoted for stupidity, irrelevance, and ignorance.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by Stranglehold
Gene Hoglan proves this thread wrong.

Gene Hoglan could eat Chuck Norris.....while doing immaculate blast beats