ok so i dont kno much about killswitches but i know that they turn off all sound from the guitar. is it a whole separate switch from the pickup selector switch.

also today i was just messing around and i have two humbuckers and a three ways switch with volume and tone knobs for each humbucker. i usually only use the bridge pup so i turned the volume all the way down for the neck one. when i switch up all sounds turn off. is this a type of killswitch?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Just disconnect whichever pickup you use the least, then the sound will cut out when you switch to that position.

Beats the hell outta payin for a killswitch and installation.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
thats how i do it. in fact, im going to be buying a guitar with only 1 volume knob, and im going to wire a stacked knob for 2 separate volumes just for that effect.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It's essentially the same thing. Lots of guitarists have done it, Randy Rhoads most famously.

2 words:
Tom Morello

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Its basically what Tom Morello does. He uses a switch to cut the pickups, as opposed to a pickup switch.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Quote by strat0blaster
Just disconnect whichever pickup you use the least, then the sound will cut out when you switch to that position.

Beats the hell outta payin for a killswitch and installation.

yes losing tonal variety is way better then googling for 5 seconds for a wiring diagram to a less then 5 dollar mini toggle switch
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by helsinki_vampir
2 words:
Tom Morello

well tom morrello is alot younger than randy rhoads, randy was doing it even in his quiet riot days.
Quote by ash_attack
yes losing tonal variety is way better then googling for 5 seconds for a wiring diagram to a less then 5 dollar mini toggle switch

My "Tonal Variety" comes from my hands. You should keep relying on pickups, though.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
ok everyone. both my pickups work just fine. i didnt disconnect anything. and no it's not like tom morello cuz the whole point was to use the pickup switch. doesn't anyone pay attention.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by NSHSpolevault
ok everyone. both my pickups work just fine. i didnt disconnect anything. and no it's not like tom morello cuz the whole point was to use the pickup switch. doesn't anyone pay attention.

That just made no sense. Since it is practicaly what tom morello does however he has a killswitch specificaly made for his guitar (3 way toggle) so that he does not damage the guitar
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
That just made no sense. Since it is practicaly what tom morello does however he has a killswitch specificaly made for his guitar (3 way toggle) so that he does not damage the guitar

then why are ppl sayin its a seperate swich? i just use my regular pup switch with no mods or anything.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by NSHSpolevault
then why are ppl sayin its a seperate swich? i just use my regular pup switch with no mods or anything.

Because it CAN be installed as a seperate switch. Or you can disconnect one pickup and use your pickup selector as a kill switch, you know - like when you switch to the pickup that ISNT CONNECTED, it DOESNT MAKE SOUND.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Because it CAN be installed as a seperate switch. Or you can disconnect one pickup and use your pickup selector as a kill switch, you know - like when you switch to the pickup that ISNT CONNECTED, it DOESNT MAKE SOUND.

Or you can simply kill the volume to one of the pick-ups
Don't be so quick to forget that not all guitars have the appropriate control type to do that, thus making a separate switch necessary.....
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
I'm not, because I realize that the guy does have the proper electronics to do this.
Quote by Half_Full
Or you can simply kill the volume to one of the pick-ups

this is exactly what i do and exactly what i said in the first post.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!