Hi All,

I've done a search and couldnt find anything as its quite a random question- hope I've not missed anything.

I'm thinking of changing my amp, as I only ever play in a bedroom and my 65 watt valvestate is hardly even "on" at the highest volume i'll allow (I have good neighbours and don't want to ruin that!) which is about 1.5 on the scale.

I've done a bit of research, and I see there are a whole bunch of 5 watt and 15 watt all tube amps avaliable out there.

I love laneys, used a few over the years, and my little bass amp is a laney, so i'm attracted to those. I reakon the VC15 is ideal- but I'll have to save very hard to afford one of those, so was considering an LC15 too.

Do those of you who own 15 watt tube amps think they're a bit loud for the bedroom?

If thats the case then I've had a look at the 5 watters, such as the peavey royal 8, the blackheart and I really like the look of the epi valve junior, simplicity itself.

I mainly play indie, some blues and a bit of classic rock, but I also play a lot of cleans so was wondering about the headroom on the 5 watters. I mainly play a les paul and occasionaly a strat if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
5 W(tube) is enough for a bedroom
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
5 is plenty for a tube amp.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
5 watt tube for bedroom will be nice. it will probably be as loud as a 10-15 watt solid state which is around what most people use for bedroom practice levels. I love the blackhearts if i could find an exscuse for buying one i probably would, lol. Although i would probably get the handsome devile one with the gain control personally.

But 15 watts would be a good choice. Its quiet enough that you could turn it down to bedroom levels if you needed, and loud enough to be heard with drums if you ever started jamming with friends or something. Although i guess if you got a 65 watter you would use that...

But i think any amp in the 5-15 watt range thats a tube will suit you pretty well. comes down to preference
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
1 watt is enough for a bedroom and even it can be pretty loud. Honestly look at sound proofing and amp positioning before you think about getting another amp. And a 5 watter would be your best bet but you might need a attenuator if your really that worried about it.
Volume wise, a 5 watt tube amp is only 50% quieter than a 50 watt. Therefore, for most people it = too loud, but believe me, don't let that stop you from buying a tube amp though. Most people on here seem to think that 5 watts is nothing compared to 100 watts volume wise, and yes, it is obviously louder, but if you crank a 5 watt tube amp, it can still deafen you. You would be better off spending the money on a higher wattage amp for headroom alone.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
5w tube amp is if anything too much for a bedroom
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

thank you, finally someone agrees!
Blackheart Killer Ant with one watt would be good. Saw clips the other day, sounds pretty badass.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
thank you, finally someone agrees!
Haha you'll no doubt find more who also agree. I mean I own a Valve Junior, and cranked it is audible outside and annoys the neighbours... And the tone isn't particularly amazing. Good amp for 90 quid, but not a good amp in the scheme of things IMO.

And yeah, i've managed to play in a band setting with my VJr a couple times. Even a gig.

I think the VC15 would be a great choice for the TS.
Quote by MrCarrot
I think the VC15 would be a great choice for the TS.

i was going to say that

you can get nice OD at bedroom volumes but it doesnt really shine til the volume passes 3, which is still a parents out job.

but i'd have that over any 5 watter because of the features.

EDIT: the LC15 is a bit of a mixed bag. on one hand, its tube for £150

on the other hand, its a pile of shit

i'd say the VC is worth saving the 200 for
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot

It's true. The quietest 5W'er I've tried is the Fender Champion 600. It's probably the 6" speaker that makes it so, but it's a nice choice for the bedroom which could be hooked up to an external cab if you ever need more volume.

I just recently acquired a Laney L5T-112, which is loud enough to jam with a drummer but has a "lead channel" which allows you to get some good overdrive sounds at lower volumes. If you like Laney's, maybe you can find a deal on one of these. It's nice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
5 watts can rock. I have a Harley Benton 5 watt head thru a 1x12 cab, EQed with a GT-8, and have used that in the bandroom. It can rattle the windows of my house!

Direct in the amp with no pedals is still louder than most people would need in the bedroom.

Your hearing is precious, and sooo important for music, so protect it.
Yeah, the guys and I agree, we think that 5 watts is too much, so why not go with a 15 for the extra MAYBE $100 and be happier with a nice overdrive.
I recently bought the krank rev junior knowing absolutely nothing about tube amps. I can't put the volume up past .5 in my house and cannot get good tone out of it. I was looking at the blackheart killer ant mentioned here and was wondering how extreme the distortion could get. I'm not sure if the youtube videos I've watched show it's full potential, but it's starting to sound like a 1watt amp is the way to go for playing in my home.
The 5 watt valve junior combo it way too loud for bedroom. Without an attenuator it is still on the loud side even clean, cranked there is no way my wife and kids could even be in the house without screaming at me to turn it down. That said it is a fun amp but so is a roland cube or a vox valvetronic. Now I mainly use a Traynor YCV 20 which is 15 watt tube amp. It has a bit better cleans than the VJ but I have to pick my loud times carefully, weekdays when I work afternoon/evening shift are great my nieghbours are at work so is my wife so I can play in the morning without too much problem but I still have to be careful.
Last edited by stujomo at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
Would an attenuator solve my problem?
Definitely. Get a 30w Weber Minimass.
just find a nice amp 15-20 watt amp with a good master volume. Try a few out and pick what you like. Would be nice for jamming with too.
Quote by MrCarrot

+1

if you ask me, you're better off with a 15 watter with a master volume (e.g. laney vc15) for bedroom, than a 5 watter without (e.g. epi valve junior).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slatsmania
I just recently acquired a Laney L5T-112, which is loud enough to jam with a drummer but has a "lead channel" which allows you to get some good overdrive sounds at lower volumes. If you like Laney's, maybe you can find a deal on one of these. It's nice.

good call there slats, it's a really nice amp. you'd want to find a deal on it, though, as it's more than twice the price of the vc15 (but it does sound better).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
Is that an attenuator?
Yep, www.tedweber.com

Very good quality attenuator and exceptional value.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

if you ask me, you're better off with a 15 watter with a master volume (e.g. laney vc15) for bedroom, than a 5 watter without (e.g. epi valve junior).

I was going to say the same thing. 5 watts is good for clean bedroom practice, but if it doesn't have a master volume or a second channel, then overdriving it is probably to loud. A louder amp with a master volume would be much better.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
'saving hard' for a VC

something is telling me LH isnt the way to go
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
Which one of these would be good for a 25w Krank Rev Jr?

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
50w minimass is probably your best bet, when turned up amps actually put out more than the stated wattage, so your amp will output more than 25w which might blow up the 25w attenuator.
Quote by MrCarrot
50w minimass is probably your best bet, when turned up amps actually put out more than the stated wattage, so your amp will output more than 25w which might blow up the 25w attenuator.

So the 50watt minimass will solve all my problems with not being able to get the right tone out of my Krank Rev Jr? I have the active FX in the back pushed in and cranked, I have the gain kranked, the sweep at about 4-5, the bass at about 4, and the mids and treb at about 9 and I can't turn the volume up past .5!!!!
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
So the 50watt minimass will solve all my problems with not being able to get the right tone out of my Krank Rev Jr? I have the active FX in the back pushed in and cranked, I have the gain kranked, the sweep at about 4-5, the bass at about 4, and the mids and treb at about 9 and I can't turn the volume up past .5!!!!
Most likely. It will allow you to turn the amp's volume up and then control that, keeping 95% of the amp's tone. Definitely worth a try. Attenuators are very useful, I couldn't survive without mine
Great stuff- thanks for the replies all, i've learnt a lot there.

By the way I'm not scared of effects, I have a tubescreamer to help things along a little, although it would be nice to have natural overdriven tubes as I've never had that before.

As for attenuators its something i've never even considered, definitely something to think about.

After your replies I've ruled out the peavey royal 8 (no one reccomended it, and mrcarrot's sig says it all ), the EVJ and the LC.

So its either an attenuator, like the weber MASS 100W, and keep my valvestate- I am attached to it, I've had it since new and its my last remaining piece of equipment from when I did my onlym proper gig 12 years ago!

OR a new amp- a VC, or possibly one of those BH1H's and a cab. Best start saving if I go that route!

Thanks all, you've helped a lot

PS Mr Carrot, did the weber folk ship over to the UK? good service?
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
^ I don't have a Weber, but they will ship to the UK. Shipping can sting a bit though - maybe look into getting one from www.eurotubes.com ? Not sure though.

An attenuator won't do much good for a valvestate, they're more for valve amps where the effect is more prominent of them 'losing tone' at low volume. You would need one to get the best bedroom tone from a 15w tube amp though. They're loud.

If you play Indie, Blues and some Classic rock, and want a bedroom amp, get the VC15. No question. Those are the genres the amp was designed for. Tubescreamers work great with the VCs too.
Alright I just bought the 50w Mini Mass Attenuator! Man I hope this thing makes my Krank Rev Jr playable!
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I was going to say the same thing. 5 watts is good for clean bedroom practice, but if it doesn't have a master volume or a second channel, then overdriving it is probably to loud. A louder amp with a master volume would be much better.

Quote by MrCarrot
An attenuator won't do much good for a valvestate, they're more for valve amps where the effect is more prominent of them 'losing tone' at low volume. You would need one to get the best bedroom tone from a 15w tube amp though. They're loud.

If you play Indie, Blues and some Classic rock, and want a bedroom amp, get the VC15. No question. Those are the genres the amp was designed for. Tubescreamers work great with the VCs too.

agreed on both points.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?