Can someone recommend me good theory books please? I really want to learn scales and keys and all that stuff. I'm looking to buy some from ebay.co.uk, can anyone help me pick a good one? Thanks a lot.
No need to waste money. There's a sticky at the top of Musicians Talk that has a "Music Theory FAQ".
Hey guys thanks, especially bandgoodcharlotte, that link in your sig is reaaaaaallllllyyy good. How come I missed that lesson before???? Anws, THANKS!!!!!
Hey, I just ordered "The Idiots Guide To Music Theory-2nd Edition" from Amazon yesterday.
It had so many good responses and reviews. I'm just starting to learn music in brief and that was the best deal I could find. Check it out and see the reviews for yourself.
I've got a book called Practical Theory For Guitar and its great. It goes over all the basics and covers ever scale (Major, Minor, H. Min, etc.), every mode, and even some jazz scales, in 5 different positions, both opened and closed
Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" is probably the most in-depth volume of theory out there.
Ive got one called "Guitar Logic". It teaches from basics to advanced in theory and the whole back of the book is like a damn glossary of chord charts, chord scales for every key and scales and their modes and more. Its very easy to read the author doenst sound all high and mighty which I really appriciate. I keep this one right in the bathroom at all times. I purchased it on EBAY for 20$
Well, I'm mostly looking for metal not jazz... But hey, it can help right? It's the theory I want, not the style of the music.
^ This is true knowlage of jazz and classical theory/techniques can only help you play metal. Randy Rhoads mother was a piano teacher and he was taught classical guitar and music theory. Look what it did for him as far as being a composer.
Quote by YA89
Hey, I just ordered "The Idiots Guide To Music Theory-2nd Edition" from Amazon yesterday.
It had so many good responses and reviews. I'm just starting to learn music in brief and that was the best deal I could find. Check it out and see the reviews for yourself.

That's the one I always recommend. Good choice.
You can have a look at a few. "Harmony and theory" from MI, Mark Levine's "the jazz theory book", another called "Jazzology" but i forget by who. Michael Morangelli's "A reference for jazz theory", which is a free download by the way, that always comes in handy. Like above, the idiots guide... etc.

The MI book is a workbook which is great, lots of exercise pages to write in. The "Jazzology" book also has lots of exercises and tests after each chapter so you can really pinpoint the parts you need to work on.

Enjoy, hope this helps
Quote by Declan87
Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" is probably the most in-depth volume of theory out there.

It also presupposes a fairly extensive knowledge of standard notation and harmony, and is limited entirely to jazz conventions.

If you can read standard notation, Piston's Harmony is a good introduction to most concepts in theory, as well as a very in-depth guide to classical harmony (hence the name)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.