can anyone give me some tips on writing power metal?
along the lines of Stratovarious or Dragonforce ( i know there technique isn't the best but they write good Okay?)

EG. what keys and scales work best, Rhythm sections?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
alot of power metal (at least what i have heard) has minor verses and bridges and such, but with a major chorus

as far as scales, try messing around with a major scale, and you'll probably be able to come up with something.
first you have to think:
"What would an Elven Lord do?"

thn once you get a good laugh out of power metal you can take it seriously

use the major scale with alot of harmonization for solos

rhythm-wise you just really need power chords that fit appropriately
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
quite high tempo with all instruments, falsetto vocals sometimes coupled with harsh backing vocals
as far as percusion goes blast beats dont go amiss, a lot of double bass as well
guitar dude is right about the minor verses and bridges then usually a major key chorus or hook/interlude will follow
in a lot of power metal theres heavy use of keyboards and instrumental sections
bass usually follows the guitar line to a certain extent sometimes acting as a harmony to the guitars.
Power metal is basically the chance for everyone involved to show of their technical skills on their instruments
dont know if this will help much and im sorry if it doesnt but at least i tried

edit: slightly off topic but dammit, why does every thread i post in suddenly cease to get new posts, watch out "i kill threads" lol
Last edited by Joe4/4/1992 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by The_Seventh_Sin
use the major scale with alot of harmonization for solos

rhythm-wise you just really need power chords that fit appropriately

Other way round mate. You don't write a solo and then pick the chord progression afterwards. Do you?

The progressions in power metal are usually pretty straight forwards. They're mostly diatonic to give a traditional feel to the music, and usually just played as power chords. A lot of power metal is heavily influenced by classical and celtic music.
Quote by The_Seventh_Sin
first you have to think:
"What would an Elven Lord do?"

!!! and thanks everyone, might try start a power metal song tomorrow or something.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost