Page 1 of 2
I gigged last weekend and it was a total disaster, when I warmed up my black heart little giant tube amp for a small gig the thing made this huge annoying hum. And the amp volume was only set on 4, i also warmed up the tubes 1st.
The hum would not go away at all and soo I just had to deal with the annoying hum

After our 2nd song the amp made this ugly huge feedback noise and within like 2 minutes I believe the amp stopped working.

I don't know what caused this I mean I treat my gear with extreme care i didn't bump it into anything or slam it down, and it is a brand new tube also.

Im not bashing on tube amps or anything so don't get your pantys in a bunch but i will say that i am not gonna gig with a tube amp anymore.

anyone have thoughts on why this happened?
Because Blackheart makes unreliable amps?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Sounds to me (I'm not an expert tho) like a tube failed. It happens.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
the place where you were gigging could have had something else besides instruments running on the same plug circuts. I know when i gig at my church, they have lights running on the same plug circut as the guitar amps and so that makes my AC-15 hum and buzz really bad so i have a noise surpressor to fix that.
This thread sounds eerily similar to another disaster thread from a few days back....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
well the gig place sorta was weird , it was in a cafeteria but no lights were on :/ fuking tubes are soo high matinence
^If you had a bad experience, I'm sorry. But i've had my tube amp for a few years now, with one retube and numerous gigs/very loud jams, with no problems whatsoever. Your chance situation sucks, but it doesn't mean all tube amps are bad and shouldn't be gigged with, nor does it mean they're high very high maintenance.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Sounds like a tube has gone to me.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
lol a brandnew tube, wierd.. but sadly after that i rlly am uncomfortable with tube amps and gigging, my step dad argued to me for over an hour why solid state amps are better, and i said **** no tubes are better, however hes a electrician soo i cant rlly argue
Quote by TNfootballfan62
This thread sounds eerily similar to another disaster thread from a few days back....

...and he joined this month?

A coincidence? Dun dun dun!

Edit: He only has posted in this thread so that points more to trolling.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Jul 22, 2008,
...So one bad experience means you won't use another one ever again?

It's only you who will suffer
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
SS amps fail, too, you know.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
sound wise a little bit but they hold up better, i mean everything today is based on solid state technology soo it will last longer
It will last longer,maybe, if you buy an expensive one. Some cheaper solid state amps are terribly unreliable. Not because of bad technology but because they're poorly built. There are still tube amps being used every day that were made in the 60s. Tube amps are surely not unreliable.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
This is shifting from *a question you apparently didn't want an answer to* to *tube bashing*. Pretty quickly.

Edit: A Roland Jazz Chorus is a good clean amp. Other high end SS amps are the Line 6 Vetta, HD147 (I think), HK Zentera, and some old (and good) SS amps. They don't make them like they used to
Quote by Lunchbox362
^I'm sure that was the goal in mind.

^^No idea. What's "best" to you is different from what's "best" to me.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Sounds kind of to me like someone used an instrument cable as a speaker cable...

And btw, SS is only more reliable in theory. while a good one is not as affected by heat as a tube amp, very few are made that well. There is a reason you see a lot more older tube based stuff (amps, stereo's, TVs) still working than Solid State...
Quote by Darkshell
what is the most expensive best solid state amp out there?

Moral: Price = quality. Always. Just buy the most expensive thing. It'll definitely be money well spent. Always. Never doubt that. Ever. Value? Get out, leave me here in my dreams of gold-plated Deloreans.
well i am pretty sure i dont want to use a tube amp anymore, soo thanks for your feedback ad no i dint use a instrument cable as a speaker cable...
You'll have my sympathies when your SS amp breaks down then. You'll never want to play electric guitar anymore!

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Well, then this thread has served it's purpose (...which was? I kind of missed it) and you can stop posting in it, right?
Quote by Lunchbox362
I hate people who generalize things. It sounds so ignorant. (I give you statements such as "tubes are sooooo high maintinence!")

You have one of the cheapest tube amps on the market, and just because you blew a tube, you are going to have bad tone for the rest of your life.

You my friend, need to chill out, and buy some spare tubes, and a noise gate. (or hell.... a new amp!)

btw, please tell me you aren't being a troll!
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Last edited by Chance125 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by Darkshell
u can stop being an asshole anytime soon, i bet u pple think u love being right all the time

I bet people think you are an ignorant troll who can't spell.

Anyway, I'm tired of this.

Have fun with SS amps.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by Darkshell
u can stop being an asshole anytime soon, i bet u pple think u love being right all the time
Obvious troll is obvious.

I think it'd be wise if this thread was closed before it becomes another sea of warnings.

*reported*
You do know that a tube doesn't have to be old to fail right? It's like light bulbs and strings: sometimes you just get a duff one.

Stick with tubes, they sound so much better than SS amps, really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
troll what is that some nerd saying that ur grandmother came up with rofl, fo **** off Mr.Carrot

oh ya btw cute name ... does ur boyfriend like it ?
Quote by Darkshell
well i am pretty sure i dont want to use a tube amp anymore, soo thanks for your feedback ad no i dint use a instrument cable as a speaker cable...

A retube on a Blackheart costs like 30 bucks and is as easy as changing a light bulb...just change the tubes, change the fuse, bam you are golden. And ALWAYS carry spares to a show. BAM no problem. Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. And you should always have at least one backup on hand for your band. That way, you swap amps and keep going.

I have had two different SS amps fail me...and no tube amp problems
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Disrespecting Mr. Carrot isn't going to win you friends or respect around here ... but apologies for rude behaviour go a long way.
Quote by Steve BP
Disrespecting Mr. Carrot isn't going to win you friends or respect around here ... but apologies for rude behaviour go a long way.

+1

This kid acts like a 10 year old.

"Nice name, does your boyfriend like it."

pfft...

GTFO of here Darkshell
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I have a sneaking suspicion that Darkshell is a Nom de Plume for another troll from a few days/weeks ago.
i know i could probably use google, but I'm not feeling it, I like UG's help better, but...

what's a troll? yeahhh newb question

edit: nvm, wikipedia i gave in to google!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Page 1 of 2