wtf is there purpose (music related), y not just use amps? or are they neccassary for singers or something?

and im pretty sure this is the rite forum, if not, oh well.....
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Yes nessecary for singers, monitoring, and preparing your own gigs.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Voice sounds pretty awful through an electric guitar amplifier but PAs can be used to amplify pretty much everything.

If you go to a big stadium gig the PA system you see will be amplifying EVERYthing on the stage.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Jul 22, 2008,
Its easier to eq the levels of all instruments

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
PA systems are basically amps. They amplify all sound. Vocals, bass, drums. guitars,etc. Each having its own channel and EQ.

The purpose of a PA is to make the band sound good, and be heard equally well thru out the whole venue.

Gig without a PA, and you and your front crowd will be deaf, and the people at the back of the venue will only hear muffed bass drum noise.
Quote by shmuck71
PA systems are basically amps. They amplify all sound. Vocals, bass, drums. guitars,etc. Each having its own channel and EQ.

The purpose of a PA is to make the band sound good, and be heard equally well thru out the whole venue.

Gig without a PA, and you and your front crowd will be deaf, and the people at the back of the venue will only hear muffed bass drum noise.

Not strictly true, that could happen with a PA if all the speakers are at the front.

It just gives everything it's place with in the wall of sound. It makes sure everything can be equally heard.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Not strictly true, that could happen with a PA if all the speakers are at the front.

True, but I never personally met a sound person dumb enough to do that.
I have, and have done it. Not every venue has enough space to have speakers anywhere else but the stage with it causing a major safety hazard.

But we won't argue over this coz it's not the point of the thread.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
alright thanks, basically answered my Q. so, if i have a band that doesnt have a PA system, we're basicallys screwed? good thing i know a keyboardist who owns one (he DJ's too).....
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
PA is just flat voiced amp.. it could be big big enough for large stadium or 20 watt combos used as keyboard amps..
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
alright thanks, basically answered my Q. so, if i have a band that doesnt have a PA system, we're basicallys screwed? good thing i know a keyboardist who owns one (he DJ's too).....

if you are playing the usual barroom play to 10 people from the other bands and their girlfriends, then the pa is normally provided. If you are playing professionally eg touring originals band or club/wedding/corporate gig band like i do then you normally have to provide your own PA. I have a Mackie Srm450 and subwoofer system which is pretty much the industry standard.
that last bit was really helpful, thanks tuwyci
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
that last bit was really helpful, thanks tuwyci

no problem. itll cost you about 3grand tho lol