I have a Danelectro Innuendo and a Takamine EG240 guitar (among others) and they came with some kind of Fine strings. Unfortunately, tuning them to Drop D is nearly impossible without the D string flapping all over the place on either guitar (preaching to the choir I know).

I really want to play Drop C or even lower on both, but if I can barely tune them to D, I won't even try C.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions for strings so I can play the lower tunings on these guitars. I'm putting all of my money into my project car at the moment so I'd like to avoid getting other guitars.

Also, would I run any chance of the necks bending if I add heavier gauge strings?

Thanks in advance!
you can get skinny top heavy bottom sets which work great for drop D (the Daddario ones are 10-52 and work pretty well)

i've even used those for drop C but they get a bit flappy, in which case i reccomend moving to 11s or 12s

Quote by dawrr
Also, would I run any chance of the necks bending if I add heavier gauge strings?

not if you properly set it up

usually if your downtuning it evens out the heavier gauge

other you might need to add a half turn to the truss rod.
just put them on and check the bow of the neck....
just search around here/google for how to do it or if you aren't confident in your abilities take it to your guitar store (because in messing with the truss rod you can break stuff!)

you'll also want to adjust the intonation for your new strings
Quote by seljer
you can get skinny top heavy bottom sets which work great for drop D (the Daddario ones are 10-52 and work pretty well)

i've even used those for drop C but they get a bit flappy, in which case i reccomend moving to 11s or 12s

not if you properly set it up

usually if your downtuning it evens out the heavier gauge

other you might need to add a half turn to the truss rod.
just put them on and check the bow of the neck....
just search around here/google for how to do it or if you aren't confident in your abilities take it to your guitar store (because in messing with the truss rod you can break stuff!)

you'll also want to adjust the intonation for your new strings

Thanks! I have played with the truss rod on the acoustic but I haven't played with the neck on the electric.

Thanks for the advice!