I'm trying to find out what Matt Bellamy is doing in this video at 1:36. I think he's doing pinch harmonics at the top of the neck but I don't get his left hand motion. I also can't do them yet so I can't test them out, anyway here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkvQhk4yyzQ

If anyone out there knows what he's doing tell me.
Quote by bdfs05
u got me

Quote by alyxmelia
your a sick young lady tbh
That's wierd.......
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Just strumming behind the nut, doesnt work on all guitars tho, i know ive tried!
Last edited by Amitio at Jul 22, 2008,
Its hard to say. He's got the inspector Gadget of guitars so I can't really help. It is cool, though.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
he just strums behind the nut? doesnt seem hard to me
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
he just strums behind the nut? doesnt seem hard to me

Go try it out, then come back. It isn't that simple since there are no pickups to recieve the signal on the nut, you can do it unplugged but nothing from the amp.
Quote by bdfs05
u got me

Quote by alyxmelia
your a sick young lady tbh
Actually, Strumming behind the nut DOES get picked up by your pickups, just to a lesser extent than normal playing. I've done it, though a locking nut hinders it a lot (most of my guitars have locking nuts). also though, he has a headset microphone as far as I can tell, which he could use to amplify playing behind the nut.
It's perfectly possible to do with a normal guitar with no special mics or anything, Josh Homme From Queens of the Stone Age doe the same thing in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWVIaslEOs

At about 7:20 you can clearly see him do it and there's nothing different about his guitar and he has no mic near it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When you strum behind the nut, the vibrations are carried through the rest of the strings. However, if your hand is in the way, it will obstuct the vibration, which is why Matt lifts his hand off of the neck each time he strums.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR